15 | Fabricated

"D-DOUMA?"

MITSUKO TREMBLED under the presence of the Upper Moon Two. She knew she had no chance to stand against this person. It's killing intent was making Mitsuko panic.

"Yep! You caused us quite a trouble you know."

She felt her chest suffocating. She couldn't breathe. The fear was seeping into her body. She forced her mind to stay focused and concentrated before Douma.

The next second, Douma was before her; their faces inches apart.

Douma spoke, "It will be very pleasing for you to come back." His fan grazed over her cheek as he grabbed her chin with a harsh hold.

You call yourself a Pillar?

"Breath of Artemis, Seventh Style: Adonis' Punishment."

"Tch."

Douma hopped away, his front littered with deep slices. Crimson blood seeped out of his body and dripped onto the soil. Mitsuko flicked the disgusting blood from her blood-stained Nichirin Blade. It splattered amongst the tiniest of grass in the soil.

She took a stance. Her deathly gaze fixed straight on the Upper Moon demon before her. She was determined to fight until Kanae and Shinobu came. Right now, it doesn't matter if she dies a painful death. She entered this kind of life. There was no backing out.

"Feisty, are you?"

Douma received a silence from the Artemis Pillar.

"Amazing..." he heard her whispered.

Douma's smiling face wavered a little. A grin was spreading across her face. Clearly, she was happy. Douma was lightly shocked by the sudden change of persona.

Mitsuko whispered, "I've never felt so desperate and scared like this."

Mitsuko and Douma both felt deja vú.

* * *

"Mitsuko's gone." Kanae's voice was firm. Her eyes fixated on the disheveled futon before her. The night was deep and dead. There wasn't a trace of movement around the inn. Mitsuko's katana was absent.

This feeling. Kanae knew better that she and Shinobu should be going. Mitsuko might have encountered the demon they were here for. She was frustrated Mitsuko managed to slip out without her noticing.

Kanae managed to smile lightly at the fact a girl so young was able to go out undetected. Mitsuko is not one to be underestimated after all.

Kanae glanced sideways to witness her sister tucking in her own Nichirin Blade.

The two shared an unspoken agreement through a nod before they left the inn. The moon was shining bright and high in the sea of stars.

* * *

Mitsuko never felt so much pain in doing a simple thing such as breathing.

Her lungs were burning with stinging pain. She couldn't even comprehend what kind of pain she was experiencing as of this moment. Her breaths escape as wheezes. With each inhale, she felt million spikes stabbing her from the inside. The summer night couldn't even aid her with the low temperature.

Douma played with his sharp metal fans. "You've become weak significantly, Mitsuko-chan. I'm still playing with you, you know."

Mitsuko clenched onto the grip of her katana. She was determined to hold out until Kanae or Shinobu arrives to her aid. After that, she'll behead the Upper Moon 2 with them. They will save hundreds and bring justice to the ones he ate.

Douma sighed with a resigned tone. "Let's wrap this up. You're coming with me."

"Hell no."

Mitsuko took a stance. "Artemis Breathing, Eight Form: Sacred Pierce."

Douma counterattacked with his Blood Demon Art.

Mitsuko put all the force on the heel of her foot and sprung up in the air, barely evading Douma's icy attack. It was difficult to not breathe in the cold air.

The demon remarked, "You've definitely improved in your endurance. Usually, you're dropped dead in exhaustion at this point."

Why does this demon know too much about me? He definitely knows my capabilities to the bone. Mitsuko focused on buying time. Her moves were starting to get sloppy with each gasps of oxygen. Her head was also in a mess. Out of all the times, her head really has to act up now.

Mitsuko definitely heard the sound of rib cracking under Douma's fist.

Her legs gave out beneath her. Her Nichirin Blade slipped from her scarred hands. She was losing consciousness and she was panicking. Don't close your eyes! Don't close your eyes! Force yourself to stay awake!

"It's alright, Mitsuko-chan."

Mitsuko's eyes fluttered close.

~~~~~

'Nii-san!'

Giyuu's fists gripped the katana as hard as he could. He charged recklessly at Sabito. As an outcome, he was shoved down to the dirt with a single swing from his partner.

"Never let your emotions take control of you!" Sabito was definitely mad at him.

Giyuu kept his eyes stuck on the ground. Silence filled the misty forest.

Sabito inquired, "What's on your mind?" His tone was softer this time.

Giyuu's eyebrows were furrowed. His mind coudn't take off the event of that haunted night.

"You're thinking about your sister again." Sabito knew the lack of response from Giyuu was right on point.

Giyuu murmured, "I should be the one who was taken, Sabito. She should've survived that night with or without me. It doesn't matter what happens to me."

"There's a reason why you're in front of me now, Giyuu."

"If I knew we didn't have time left, I should've been nice to her from the start." Giyuu's gritted his teeth. Recalling all of his foolish actions motivated by jealousy was enough to lower his dignity as a brother. He couldn't erase the fact Mitsuko had been a good sister to him despite his ugly attitude towards her.

Sabito sighed. "You'll be making up the lost years when you see each other again."

"But, what if she's—"

"Mitsuko's alive, Giyuu. Isn't that the reason why you're here, training to be a Demon Slayer? You want to get your younger sister back from the demons. You should stick with that until the very end. I'm pretty sure she's also hoping to see you again. Have that thought stuck in your head."

Giyuu looked up at Sabito. "How could you be so sure?"

Sabito grinned. "I believe she's alive and you're going to get her back. I promised I'll help you, didn't I?"