18 | Convey

HITOSHI AND MITSUKO were chatting as they ambled around the town.

Hitoshi laughed. "I don't even know myself why I looked after you most of the time! Shinobu-san had started sending me some uncomfortable smiles." Hitoshi's shoulder slumped, "It wasn't a pleasant experience."

Mitsuko smiled as she looked down to her feet. "Still. I appreciate how you had gone out of the way to check up on me."

Hitoshi stared at Mitsuko. He was pleased to see a small smile on her face. He noticed something. "You've been smiling lately! And you talk more too."

Mitsuko looked up to meet his eyes. She asked, "What's wrong about it?"

Hitoshi sent her a teasing smirk, "Perhaps you met someone, hm?"

"Well, when our mission involved thinking, we need to meet new people."

Hitoshi deadpanned at her oblivious behavior. "You're hopeless."

"If you're thinking about romantic relationship, I don't plan to. I'm too young for that."

"Well, I just noticed the difference in your demeanor. I can't help but point it out. You do know that people can influence you in many ways."

Her mind flashed back to Kanae and the Tokitou twins.

"Yeah."

A comfortable silence hovered around them. They continued strolling in town, scanning each of the random stalls that sells food and other merch.

A crow landed on Hitoshi's shoulder. "Caw! There's a rumoured demon in the next town! There's a rumoured demon in the mext town! Caw!"

Mitsuko eyed Hitoshi's crow.

"I need to go. See you around, Mitsuko! Get yourself healed!" Hitoshi waved as he jogged from the Pillar.

Mitsuko waved goodbye at the running brunette.

"Hitoshi's crow is quite timid, huh." Her eyes glanced overhead to see Taki, nesting on her head.

"CAW!" Taki could feel the shivers of the look Mitsuko was giving her. He cowered and flew away.

Mitsuko sighed and returned to her estate to sleep the rest of the afternoon away.

* * *

Mitsuko lifted her eyes open to reveal a bunch of people watching her.

The sound of the suzu bells as she raised them resonated throughout the shrine grounds.

Her body moved gracefully along the soft humming of the melody and the rhythmic ringing of the bells. Her mind was focused on entertaining the gods with her miko kagura.

As her eyes returned to the audiences once again, she made eye contact with sowrdsman.

The suzu bells rang.

"CAW! CAW!"

Mitsuko groaned. "So noisy..."

Her arm unconsciously went up to cover her eyes from the rays of sun that managed to peek through. She stayed like that for a good minute, almost falling asleep if it weren't for Taki's persistent noise

"LETTER! CAW! FROM OYAKATA-SAMA! CAW!"

As much as she wanted to snap her head up at the sudden letter, she lazily draped her arms across the tatami floor; her hand were open wide and waited for Taki to place the well-folded letter.