12 | Interweave

"OKA-SAN!"

GIYUU grabbed Mitsuko's wrist before she could try to bolt to her mother, who was now bleeding on the floor. The two of them saw how their father, now a demon, feasted on their mother, her blood aimlessly splattering on the floor. The siblings froze in fear, their bodies still as a statue.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw something glint. It was the blade of a knife.

As the demon remain distracted, she swiftly grabbed the knife and threw it at the demon, piercing its skin. Giyuu immediately snapped, "Mitsuko! That's our father!"

Tears pricking her eyes, Mitsuko argued, "That's a monster, Nii-san! That thing can never be Oto-san!"

Before Giyuu could refute, the attention of the demon now switched to them. The demon charged at them. Mitsuko closed her eyes shut, expecting pain to take over her body.

But, it never came. Instead, Giyuu's yell resounded, "NEE-SAN!"

When Mitsuko lifted her eyelids, her vision were filled with red. Blood splattered across her face and her clothes. She witnessed how Tsutako struggled to maintain her balance. "Tsutako-nee-san!"

Tsutako said, "You did a good job, Mitsuko." She turned to Giyuu and commanded, "Save yourselves, Giyuu, Mitsuko..." she stopped her voice from cracking. Tsutako can't breakdown in front of them. She needs to be the sister they always looked up to. She has to protect Giyuu and Mitsuko for their future. They need to live.

"We love you."

"Nee-san!" Tears streamed down Giyuu's cheeks. It's like an unstoppable running river. He wiped his tears. He stopped Mitsuko from running to Tsutako and pulled her away outside through the backdoor.

Mitsuko was crying, barely keeping up with Giyuu as they ran away. Giyuu gripped Mitsuko's hand tight. His sight was clouded with the his own tears. 'I can't protect anyone! All I have is Mitsuko!'

As if luck finally sided with them, they encountered a man in formal clothes and a signature fedora walking towards them in a slow manner. Giyuu immediately approached the man, begging, "Please help us! There's a monster in our house! It already ate our mother and our sister is back there."

Mitsuko stepped back, fear clear as day in her eyes. She stuttered, "Nii-san... Th-that's not a man... he's a m-monster too."

Confusion took over his mind. Giyu asked his sister, "Mitsuko, what do you m-agh!"

"NII-SAN!"

The next thing Giyuu knew was he's thrown in the air and his body slammed right into a tree. His ears started to ring as his body started to give him immense pain. The type of pain he never felt before. He could barely move his body as he could barely hear his sister's voice.

"How can you tell? Please enlighten me," said the man, walking towards Mitsuko, who tried to run to her brother only to be proved futile. Her body landed on the ground. Mitsuko started to crawl away in each step the man took towards her. Her terrified red eyes were wide in fear as they were met by dark, glowing crimson orbs.

The man spoke once again, "Not that many people can see through me." He picked Mitsuko by the neck and raised her fragile body up. She tried resisting with her feet as her hands shot up to his wrist, trying to take his hand off her neck. Her breathing was suddenly cut off and she could feel her lungs screaming for air.

"We can't have someone like that on our enemy's side, can we?"

Mitsuko tried to bite the man's hand, but he didn't flinch an inch. The man glared daggers at her, which was unnoticed by the child due to the blurriness of her sight. "Now, you'll prove to me you're useful... Mitsuko, was it?"