Not Black And White

Welp here we go, comment as always, some fun but slow stuff in the next few chapters but its necessary. 

_____________________________

Oregon's POV:

I was talking with Red about his own family. Why doesn't he already know this? It seems strange but I won't ask. That would make me seem insensitive. That's not what I'm going for.

I am usually by myself. No one really wants to spend time with me. I know why. I am seen as a scary, dark, forgettable outcast of the states. All the other ones make sense. I'm just scary and stupid. No one sees me as anything else.

I thought that maybe me and him would have that in common. He, as a person, is described as this demon, this absolute hellion. But I know that no one is like that for no reason, there has to be a motive and I couldn't find anything that could be the motive. No one is as black and white as people describe him.

It's almost like no one really knows anything about him. He just seemed to show up one day. Which is not how flags work. We exist many years before we lead. Which means he was somewhere and no one noticed him. Hiding in plain sight.

My main question is, what is his story. What was his motive? What happened? Why? So many whys.

I feel a vibration in my pocket. I pulled out my phone and it was my dad. He said that we should come back since it was getting late and the family meeting was over. I stand up and text that we are on our way.

"Alright, you seem good now and I think everyone else has calmed down. We should get back." I say putting my hands in my sweater pocket. "By everyone you mean Alaska right?" Red says. I smile. He's not wrong. "Yep! Either way we should go."

He stands and we both start to walk back. A few minutes later I got another message from dad. This one says 'none of your siblings are leaving the house. They are waiting for Third to get here. If you could try to mentally prepare him that would be great because I don't want a repeat of what happened earlier.' Oh come on. What was I expecting anyways.

I sent him a message saying 'ok' and put my phone back in my pocket.

"How well do you do being the center of attention in a large group of people?" I ask. "Pshh, I live in that environment like a fish in water. It's my goddamn home!" He says. "Good cuz you're going to be the center of attention in a large group of people in about three minutes. You know, just a heads up." I say back.

"Was?" He says. "English please." I say back, continuing to walk. "Who am I going to see?" He asks. "Oh, all of my siblings want to meet you." I say. "There are fifty of you." He says. "No no no no. There are fifty states. I'm one of them. There is also Nasa, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the US military branches, and if certain things happen, D.C. and Jefferson." I say.

"What certain things?" He asks. "If Virginia and Maryland fight, D.C. shows up. If me and California fight, Jefferson shows up. If we are lucky neither will." I say with a bit of grudge.

I really don't want Jefferson to show up. He's so bothersome, and when he shows up he has to stay in my house cuz of territorial reasons. I like my alone time and he is the second worst person to be accompanied with. Right behind California.

We keep walking and soon the house comes into view. "Alright, you ready to go in?" I say as I turn around to face him. He wasn't paying any attention to me. He was fidgeting with his shirt cuffs and kept on looking side to side like a scared bird.

"Umm, you ok there?" I ask, slightly concerned. "Are you doing this?" He asks. "What?" I ask him. "Please, please tell me you're doing this." He said.

"Doing what?" I question. He seems to be on the verge of tears. "Something's watching me Oregon. It's behind me but I don't want to turn around." He says as the first tear falls down his face. "Nothing is behind you. Just come inside. It's getting dark." I say. Now I started to feel uneasy. He may be a paranoid fucker, but no one gets this scared about nothing.

He doesn't move. Looks like he's gone to fight, flight or freeze instinct and he chose freeze. This is mean and I almost feel bad for doing it. But I made a noise. Not a real noise, it was an illusion of sound. I made it sound as if a stick snapped right behind him. He jumped and ran towards me, picking up a stick on the way.

He snapped the stick in two and held a half in each hand like daggers. "Ok, ok, calm down. Let's go inside before something bad happens." I say taking the sticks out of his hands and guiding him to the house's front door.

I open the door and he runs in, quickly going behind a corner. I shut the door and lock it. "Whatever's out there, it can't get you now. I locked the door." I say. He pokes his head around the corner and scans the room. Every single one of my siblings are here. Everyone but Jefferson and the military. Even D.C. was here.

His eyes turn a lighter shade and he gets an uneasy expression on his face. He ducks back behind the corner. I sigh. Dad walks over to me. "What happened?" He whispers. "I'll explain later." I responded.

I make eye contact with Florida. I point at him and nod my head towards where he was. He points to himself confused. I roll my eyes and nod. He gives me a thumbs up and walks over to the corner. 

____________________________

New Scar Bud time! i love this friend ship idea i came up with on accident. 

anyways, toodaloo, 

-Grilly