Midnight Ball

(Y/N)'s pov

"Today is the day!" I heard Mary exclaim. I groaned and flipped my pillow over my face. I heard someone open my curtains widely and they pulled my pillow from my face.
"(Y/n)....time to wake up." The person hummed. I blinked a few times and all I can see was Mary's beaming smile hovering over me.

"I'm up." I mumbled and sat up in my bed. I looked at the other Viragos just to notice that they were in the exact same position I was in. Sleeply, lazy, and in no mood to get out of bed. They all had messy bed hair and -I'm assuming- I did too.

"Mary, the ball doesn't start till eight. Why are we awake at this time?" Dorcas asked, rubbing her eyes. For once, I agreed with Dorcas. I'm not exactly the type to sleep in, but there were no classes and the ball didn't start till later. It was only 9 a.m. but I wanted to sleep till noon.

"Happy Halloween!" Mary exclaimed, ignoring Dorcas. Mary went around the dorm, placing cat ears on each of our heads. 

"I'm going back to bed." Marlene sleepily sighed, "wake me up at noon." Marlene closed her curtains and went to sleep.

"Me too." Dorcas yawned and covered herself with her blanket.

"I'm sorry, Mary, but I'm tired from last night's prefect duties." Lily flipped to her side and went back to sleep. I felt bad to leave Mary by herself when she's obviously excited for the day. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so sympathetic.

"Alright I'm up." I groaned as I slipped out of bed. "What's your plan for today?" I asked Mary.

"I was hoping to get to breakfast early so I can meet up with Flitwick around 10."

"Why do you have to meet up with Flitwick?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"He asked if I wanted to help prepare for the ball and I said yes." Mary answered, handing me a brush for my hair.

"Well then, let me get dressed then we'll go to the Great Hall."

~~~

The Great Hall had a few jack-o-lanterns of different sizes floating in the air. The Great Hall smelled like a lovely candle with the scent of pumpkin spice and cinnamon rolls. There were a few professors  discussing with each other at their table and there were many students chatting about the ball. Mary and I sat at our table and served ourselves food. Mary kept her eyes on the Ravenclaw table, staring at Adam as he stared at her. I, too, couldn't keep my eyes off of the Ravenclaw table; staring at the new Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw couple with arms around each other.

'Why do I even care?' I kept asking myself internally, but I didn't give myself an answer. I just stared at the couple.

"Hey." Mary lightly nudged my arm. I didn't realize that she stopped looking at Adam a while ago. "Ignore them." She said, but that was a bit hard when they couldn't stop giggling with each other. I rolled my eyes and picked at my food.

~~~

Mary and I stayed at the Great Hall longer than we expected, now we were rushing to get to Professor Flitwick's classroom. We barged into the small professor's classroom.

"Ah Miss MacDonald, so glad you finally joined us." Flitwick said, sarcastically. Flitwick made sarcastic and witty jokes often, but I was too focused on the fact that there was an 'us', to laugh. I looked at the people who stood behind him. Thankfully, it was only Remus and Hagrid. I don't know how I didn't notice the almost-8-foot-tall man and the 6'3" Gryffindor before I noticed the short professor with goblin blood.

"Sorry professor, but is it okay that
(y/n) helps us too?" Mary questioned taking our her Gryffindor scarf.

"Of course, the more the merrier." Flitwick casually said, which made it hard for me to tell if he was joking or not. He turned to look at me, "Well, come on, we have lots to do."