Mushroom Path

(Y/N)'s pov

"What did you mean?" I asked Regulus, rapidly.

It was the Sunday after Sirius's birthday and the Sunday before the Slytherin vs. Gryffindor quidditch match. Regulus and I had just entered the cottage together and the whole "You're like sirius," thing has been on my mind for the past week. It was stuck in my head no matter what. Listening to music? The thought is still there. Studying for future O.W.L.s? The thought is still there. Practicing quidditch? The thought was still there. I was eager to know what Regulus meant -if he did mean anything.

"Pardon?" He said, walking further in the cottage. I stood by the closed door.

"'You're like sirius,'" I requoted, and Regulus froze, his back facing me. "What did you mean?" I asked again.

"I...I don't know," Regulus whispered and turned around. His eyes looking at every little thing, but me. "It sort of just...slipped out. I-I meant to call you beautiful, and it's true, but...I dunno. Sirius is the brightest star in our night sky, you know that, but I just think you're very um...bright." Regulus answered, mumbling over his words. He made no sense, and he knew he didn't. He didn't understand himself either. Regulus let out a heavy sigh.

"You know when you look up in the night sky, and the first thing you notice is sirius." Regulus started, staring at the floor. I didn't respond, and he continued. "When someone walks into a room...the first thing that they would notice is...you." Regulus didn't look at anything else but the floor. He didn't want to look up. He didn't want me to see his rogue pink cheeks. Regulus was flustered. I could feel my heart swell.

"You remind me of the moon." I whispered a minute after Regulus finished. "Very subtle, but always changing. You may not see it all the time...but it's there." I paused for a moment, thinking of what I should say next.

"Usually..." I said, faintly. "When I look up at the night sky, the first thing I notice is the moon. The moon isn't always there, but when it is, it's hard not to notice it."

It made sense.

In a way.

Regulus wasn't always there. Regulus wasn't always with me. That's when he kept hidden. Nobody notices, but he's there. Regulus isn't the kind to shine. But when we're together...
things are different. He doesn't have to hide. He can be his true self. He can be his full moon.

"Thank you," Regulus whispered, shyly.

"The moon's beautiful too, y'know?"

"Yeah..." Regulus sighed. Silence descended over us."I have to use the loo," Regulus said, quickly. So quick, it sounded like a single word.

"Alright," I responded.

"Alright," Regulus sniffed, rushing to the loo.

~~~

Regulus's pov

I leaned against a wall in the small restroom as I played with my ring. I needed privacy to think properly.

'The moon's beautiful too? I remind
(y/n) of the moon? What does that mean?' I questioned internally. This is probably the thoughts (y/n) had when I told her she was like sirius. I sighed and slowly unlocked the restroom door, trying not to make a noise. I opened the door slightly, just enough to peep my head out. (Y/n) sat in her usual spot on the window seat, reading peacefully. I thought about it. 'Was (y/n) just a star? Specifically, sirius?'

No, she wasn't. (Y/n) had something. She was positive, warm, and comforting. (Y/n) was noticeable and bold. What was she?

I shook my head, making the thoughts disappear and deciding to leave the loo. I open the door widely and stepped out. I sat across (y/n), but she didn't look away from her book. I looked outside the window, noticing all of the wildflowers and trees. The sky was a pretty shade of gray-blue and there were more clouds than usual. The weather was getting much cooler as it got closer to December. The clouds covered sections of the sun, making the outside seem a bit dim.