Where I Belong

A home, it's not always a place, rather a person, or people.

My new room was freshly cleaned and organized. The bed was in the center of the room, the closet to the right, and the dresser to the left next to the window. I'm thankful for everything and I can't being to express my gratitude; I know! I'll make an amazing dinner! As I walk towards the kitchen Kousuke stops me.
"What are you doing?"

"Making dinner"

"You're supposed to be resting"

"Kou, I'm fine"

"You just spent four days in the hospital because you had a glass bottle smashed against your head. I doubt that you're fine"

"I've spent four days doing nothing but rest"

"And you're about to spend another one"

"Kousuke, come on"

"Nope, it's your homework"

"What?! You can't do that?!"

"But I can. I am your teacher after all"

"Did you really just pull the teacher card?"

"Yup! Now go rest"

"Fine" I said with a slight eye roll.

I should have expected this from Kousuke. He gets really overprotective and although I appreciate it, I hate to be seen as a burden. I lay down in my new bed after taking a painkiller. The bed was softer than the one at the apartment and the room overall was bigger than my old one. A couple of minutes into me observing my new surroundings and small crack of light came into the room. Kousuke was in the doorway and the light from the living room was beaming into my dark bedroom. He closed the door and walked over to the bed before sitting down next to me.

"Hey, you know I wasn't trying to be mean out there"

"I know, you're protective"

"Ever since the event with your past gang I've been even more concerned about something happening to you"

"Yeah, but you also know I'm not that little kid you randomly found in your house one day"

"I know, I know. I remember how freaked out you were at the beginning. With the whole bear killer thing"

"Hey!"

"I'm just glad you're ok. I don't think I've panicked that much since the gang fight. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to stress you out more than you already are. I've noticed that you've been working really hard with final exams coming up"

"Masa" he pulled me into his arm and the warmth from his embrace spread form everything to my fingers down to my toes.

He never failed to make me feel safe and loved. Slowly, he starts to pull us down so our backs are on the bed.

"Time to rest" he spoke and I drifted into a sweet slumber.