Birds

TW: HOMOPHOBIA

I tap my pencil on my cheek as I work on an assignment for art class. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. The art festival is in a few weeks and the teacher wants everyone to at least have one piece displayed. The assignment I'm working on now is to paint something that triggers emotions; wether it be from the artist or the audience doesn't matter. Whenever I think of emotions my brain goes to everything bad that's happened and I don't know if I'm ready to open up that can of worms yet.

"Are you alright?" Kousuke asked sitting next to me on our bed.

"I'm having trouble with my art assignment"

"Yikes, I'm not sure I'd be much help with that"

"I figured, Mr. Math" I joke.

"Oh hush" he replied, before he continued the conversation.

"What's the project about?"

"Emotions"

"Oh, it's that something that should be simple?"

"I guess, but when ever I think about emotions I think about all the bad things that's happened"

"It's understandable to focus on the bad. You're whole life you were surrounded by them and it's often the worst moments of our lives that stick to us. When was a time you were truly happy?"

"I think it'd be the day you proposed at the firework show. I know that sounds cheesy"

"It adorable, cheesy, but adorable. Try to think of everything you felt in that moment, make a list, and go from there" he said giving me a side hug.

"Thanks Kou" I reply and turn to give him a proper hug.

We both end up falling backwards onto the bed and laughing.

"Since we're down here" Kou said picking at my shirt.

"Nope! I've got art to create!" I said and escaped his trap.

He just chuckled and kissed my cheek before leaving our room. Man, some moments I have with him seem to be right out of one of those yaoi books Kensuke reads.

Overwhelmed
Joy
Happiness
Crying
Loved
Belonging
Free

My list was completed. With a new view on things, I sketched out a draft of my goal and starting painting. A little red bird has been freed from its cage with a heart shaped key during a rainstorm. However, the bird has this orb protecting it from the storm. There is another bird; one sitting on a thin tree branch that had the same orb, it's also red, but larger than the other. That's what the first bird is flying to. I'm the small bird and Kousuke's the bigger one.

It was late by the time I finished my art piece and I was slowly nodding off. I changed into pjs and made my way to the living room to let Kou know I had finished my art project. He stood up and ruffled my hair before heading into our room. I returned as well and sat on the bed while he changed.

"You enjoying the show?" He ask with his shirt off.

"Kousuke!" I replied throwing a pillow at him.

He laughed and finished changing before sitting beside me on the bed. I laid down so that my head was in his lap and he ran his fingers threw my hair.

"Long day?" He asked.

"Yeah"

"You wanna talk about?"

"A kid in my science class was making homophobic remarks and staying how it's a choice. I didn't say or do anything because I was nervous and didn't want to get in trouble, but I was reminded of my mother and her reaction when they were saying all that."

"Can you sit up please?" Kousuke asked.

I sat up and he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into him. I started crying into his chest while he comforted me. When I stopped crying he asked if I felt better, which I did. We cuddled up with each other until we both faded into a deep sleep.