College?

"You're smiling a lot today Sensei" a student of mine pointed out at the end of class.

I didn't even realize that I was behaving like that. It wasn't even my students that were noticing either, my coworkers could as well. They asked a few questions but I just said I was in a good mood, since I didn't have a better excuse.

"Ohshiba, come look at this!" One of my coworkers, the art teacher, said while holding a canvas to her chest.

"Hello Arai. What is it that you wanted to show me?"

"Take a look at this." She says and hands me the canvas.

It was a painting of a silhouette of someone sitting on a bed and looking out of a window at a sunrise.

"Who painted this?" I asked.

"A senior, Setagawa Masahiro. He's got some real talent. Isn't your little brother friends with him?"

"Kensuke? Oh, yeah. They've been friends for years."

"Do you know if he plans to go to college after he finishes school here?"

"He hasn't brought up college, but I don't think he plans on attending. I don't know for sure."

"What a shame."

"What'd you mean?"

"It's a shame that his talent's going to be wasted. I personally think that he should attend a school for fine arts, or even sell it on the side."

"He's very good at what he does. I saw some of his pieces at the art show a few days ago. My mother even bought a piece."

"Then you know just as well as I that he has great potential. Can you ask your brother about him? See what his plans are? I'd hate to see him not take advantage of this amazing skill he has."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you."

"Of course."

She walked off and I moved from the teacher's lounge into my classroom.

Masahiro never brought up college, so I really am clueless about wether or not he wants to go. His art is brilliant and he's doing incredible in all of his classes. I know that Kenny has no interest in college, but how come Masa never said anything? I know we have our wedding to plan, but I also want him to do what he loves and follow his dreams. He's still very young, and I fear that I'd hold him back from reaching his top potential. I also am worried about what people might say about us. Not because it would affect me, because it would affect Masahiro. He's sensitive to those things and I don't want him to feel bad or embarrassed about our relationship.

After dinner, I help clean up the table. I told Masa to go relax and that I'd do the dishes. He thanked me and headed to our room while I did the dishes. Once all that was done, I went to join him.

"How're you feeling?" I asked sitting next to where he was laying.

"My lower back hurts a bit" he replied.

"Did I go too hard on you?"

"No! Shut it!"

"Awww, love you too."

"Yeah, yeah"

"Hey, Masa"

"Yeah?"

"Do you plan to go to college?"

"Oh" he replied as he sat up and moved closer to me before continuing.

"I never really gave it any thought in all honesty."

"Sensei Arai seems very fond of you. She wants me to convince you to got to a fine arts college."

"I'm not sure, college is expensive and I don't even know what I want to do with my life."

"It's just some food for thought. You don't need to make a decision now, but know that whatever it is I'm going to support you no matter what."

He smiled and nodded his head before hugging me, causing us both to fall onto the bed. We laughed and kissed and cuddled. I wish we could stay like this forever, in each other's arms and full of happiness. Love isn't weak, but past me would say otherwise. Love is the best feeling in the world.

———————————————————————
Hey,
I might be going on hiatus for some time because of my declining mental health. Three days ago my girlfriend of 11 months broke up with me. I truly love her and it's been extremely difficult. Also, there is family issues going on. Lastly, a lot of work and rehearsals. I'm going to return when either I am mentally in a kinda better place or when my semester ends, whichever comes first. You are all amazing people!

~🐝