Birthday

TW: Homophobia 

Kousuke's birthday is tomorrow and I had been planning this for weeks. There was a set plan that I'd take him out for the a day while everyone else got everything together. His bar friends, some extended family, and the usual friend group. I'm excited to see how this plays out. It's he's 30th birthday. There's around a 12 year age gap between us. My birthday being on January 15th and Kousuke's is on August 8th, which is tomorrow.

I wake up early in the morning to make a special breakfast for Kousuke's birthday. To Kousuke, his mom-Mom, is already at work and Kensuke is at Asaya's. When they're actually out getting party supplies. I heard the floor creek and turned to see Kou walking toward the kitchen in his pajamas.

"Good morning" he said, yawning.

"Happy birthday"

"Huh?"

"Happy birthday, today's your birthday."

"It is?"

"Yes you goof. Now take a seat, breakfast is almost done."

"Did you get up early to make breakfast?" he asked taking his seat at the table.

"Yup!" I said putting down a plate of pancakes, eggs, and bacon, with a bowl of fruit, and a cup of coffee.

"God I love you!" He said pulling me into his lap and hugged me tightly while peppering my face in kisses.

"Hey! That tickles!" I said laughing.

He smiles and lets me go so he has both hands to eat. I placed a plate down for myself and sat next to him.

"Thank you for breakfast."

"Of course. Is there anything you want to do today?"

"Not really."

"Do you want to go out and maybe do something?" Why am I so embarrassed about asking this?

"Sure, what'd you want to do?"

"It's your birthday, why don't you pick?"

"You suggested it"

"Yeah, but still"

"Hm, how about we go for a walk down to the village and see where that takes us? We can even bring Shigeo."

"Alright! I'll go get dressed and get her!" I said.

We both got dressed and I put the leach on Shigeo before heading out for a walk. I had to keep him out of the house until five o'clock. Everyone is supposed to arrive by 4:30, so it gives some wiggle room in case people run late.

The village is small, but there's a lot to see. Little shops are everywhere and the annual flower display is in full bloom.

"Kou"

"Yeah"

"Can I borrow your phone?"

"Sure, why?"

"Just go stand over there." I said pointing over to a path that was lined with roses.

He handed me his phone and walked over to the middle of the path. I opened his camera and took a picture of him.

"Gorgeous." I mumble and hand him his back his device.

"Ready for some lunch?" he asked.

I nodded and we continued on with our day. I suggested we start heading home around 4:15, saying that my feet were hurting. He believed it and we were on our way to his surprise party. I was a tad bit nervous, since most of the family have no idea I exist, let alone that we're engaged. I'm excited though, I can't wait to see his reaction.

"Why's it so dark in here?" he asked and clicked on the lights.

"SURPRISE!!!" Everyone yelled.

To say he was surprised would be an understatement. He face lit up like a kid on Christmas. Kousuke went around hugging everyone and picking up conversations with family he hasn't seen in years. I stand back with a smile on my face, I'm just happy to see him happy. Once the chaos died down we served food and everyone sat around eating and I took a seat next to Kou on the floor of the living room facing his aunt, uncle, and his cousin's wife.

"So, Kousuke, are you seeing anyone? You're around that age were many of your peers are getting married or are already married. Do you have someone?" His aunt asked.

"Yes, I'm engaged actually." He replied.

"Oh, is she here? I'd love to her." She continued.

Kousuke set his drink on coffee table before speaking. "It's a guy, actually."

"Oh, you're on of those kind of people" his uncle said.

"What'd you mean?"

"We just never saw you as that" the aunt said.

"Ok, but yes I am engaged to a male. In fact I'm engaged to this lovely person next to me." He said, putting his arm around me.

The look of disgust covers their faces, before they get up and leave. Then the questions about why they left started flying in. It became overwhelming as slurs and insults punch us. Eventually I run off into our room crying. Only for Kou to come running after me.

"Masahiro."

"I'm sorry!"

"What? Why?"

"I just wanted you to have a good birthday and it got out of control. I ruined it"

"Masa"

"I'm so sorry!" At this point I was full on sobbing, I ruined his birthday.

He wrapped his arms around me and rubbed my back.

"It's not you, it's the others."

"I just wanted you to have a good birthday."

"I did, I had a great day with you. The food was amazing, and I'm actually glad to have seen everyone's true colors. You put so much though into this and I love that you did. I love you, you did nothing wrong."

I hug back. I eventually get up and hand him a small gift bag. He opens it to see a painting I had been working on for a few weeks. It's one of us. He's sitting at his at home desk and I'm on his lap with my arms around his neck asleep. It's based off of a picture of that same event that Mom took one night. Kousuke holds his index finger to his lips in the painting while facing forward.

"You made this?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, d-do you like it?"

"Absolutely!" He said before pulling me into a hug.

"I love it, thank you." He stated, then kissed me on the head.

"I love you, Kousuke."

"I love you too, Masahiro."

I hugged him again and an overwhelming feeling of warmth came over me. Not physically warm, but as if my heart had been set aflame. Without Kou, I'm not sure if I'd be here right now. Everyday I wake up to see the man next to me is a blessing and I want it to stay that way forever, because I love him. I love him so freaking much.