Christmas Eve

It's Christmas Eve and I made the bold decision of visiting my mother at the apartment. She just recently got out of the behavioral center she was sent to, but for my safety it was decided by the nurses and lawyers that I stay with the Ooshiba family.

Kousuke drove me to the apartment since it was too cold for me to walk and it was snowing. He asked me if I wanted him to come with me and I told him that it'd be comforting if he did. He parked and we both climbed up the stairs leading to the door. I knocked and my mother opened it in shock. She let us in and hugged me closely while apologizing repeatedly. I didn't know what to say, so I remained silent and returned to hug. Once she finally let go, she asked if I was going to be living with her again, and I explained to her that I wouldn't be returning. She started to sob and say how bad of a mother she is. I'm tore on what to believe, that she tried her best, or that she beat me. It took her some time to stop crying, but after she was finished she looked to Kousuke who was standing behind me with his hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, for taking care of my son" she said with a sad smile.

"My pleasure" he replied.

My mom told us to wait as she got up from the couch to grab something from her bedroom. While she was gone I realized how clean the living room was; not a alcoholic bottle in sight and it smelled like a mixture of air fertilizer and cleaning supplies. She came back with a box wrapped neatly in Christmas paper.

"I know it's early, but Merry Christmas!" She said handing me the box.

I take it gently and slowly unwrap it on the kitchen counter. It was a book of poems that I'd been wanting to get for years. I only dropped small hints over the years so was surprised that she picked up on it all. I thanked her and placed the book back into its box. I didn't have anything for her, but I wanted her to know about Kousuke and I. We have the decision last night and he gave me the ok to tell her. All three of us took a seat on the couch, and I spoke up.

I took a hold of Kou's hand, "We're dating". I said not knowing what to expect.

My mom stood up for the sofa and walked into my former bedroom. A few minutes later she walked out holding a duffel bag with the remainder of my belongings that weren't already at my new home. She opened the front door and tossed it out before calling me a disappointment and telling me to get out. Kousuke stood up to stay something, but I told him to drop it as I got up. I walked out, grabbed the duffel bag, and continued to walk until I reached Kousuke's car. He followed behind me and struggled to get the keys out of his pocket before unlocking the car. I placed the bag in the backseat and take my place in the passenger side.

"Do you want to talk about it or just head home?" Kou asked starting up the car.

"Can we go home?" I asked as the car grew warmer from the heater.

"Of course" He said before peaking a kiss on my forehead and driving home.

We decided that it'd be a simple night. Take out instead of me cooking and to just watch a Christmas movie with everyone. As usual Kou was pointing out all the inaccuracies and Kenny was bickering with him about how it's just a movie. The two of them could go on for hours if Ms. Ohshiba didn't tell them to cut it out. Sibling love was always something interesting to me, because you hate the other person so much, but at the same time you love them just as much. I never really saw Kensuke as a brother, maybe that's because I'm in love with Kousuke, but I do see him as family. Since I'm an only child I'll never fully wrap my head around things, but that's ok, because it's funny to watch the two.

I cuddle up to Kousuke's arm "Be nice"

"I am being nice" He replied

"I call B.S.! You ruined the movie with all your fancy words and smart stuff" Kensuke replied.

Ms. Ohshiba told them again to quit it. It was getting late anyways and we all need to go to bed. I cuddled up to Kou and he wraps his arms around me pulling me in as he does so.

"I love you Masa" he said.

"I love you too"