Call Me Mom

Summer. I hate the heat.

Kousuke and the rest of the family are still asleep by the time I get up to make breakfast. Nothing too exciting, just some eggs, pancakes, and bacon. I also made Ms. Ohshiba a vegan friendly option since that is her newest experiment. I set the table and pour out some apple juice before feeding the animals. Kensuke was the first one up, followed by his mother and brother.

"Good morning." I said as everyone takes there places at the table.

"Oh dear, did you get up early to do this?" Ms. Ohshiba asked.

I simply nodded and explained that her meal was fit for her new diet, although I could see her eyeing the bacon. I took my seat next to Kousuke and ruffled my hair. He placed his hand on my upper thigh and was starting to tease me under the table, which was quickly put to a stop when I stepped on his food.

"Mom, I'll be going to Asaya's today. Is that alright?"

"Go right ahead."

I sat there awkwardly. Everyone is a big happy family, why am I even here?

"Thank you so much for breakfast Masahiro."

"It was no problem at all Ms. Ohshiba. I'd cook for you anytime."

"Please, no need to be so formal."

"I'm sorry?"

"Your family, you've done more than enough for us. Plus, soon you'll be my son-in-law. I know things with your biological mother aren't exactly ideal. If you'd like, of course there is no pressure for you to, call me Mom." She said.

I felt like I was going to cry. I stood up and hugged her.

"Thank you...Mom"

"Of course, son"

"What about your actual kids?"

"Can it Kousuke" she said.

I chuckled before making a comment about him being jealous. He replied with an eye roll.

We were in our room, bored out of our minds. Kensuke was at Asaya's and Ms-Mom was at work. Kousuke and I are the only people remaining.

"One downside to teaching, summers are boring as hell."

"Well at least you get to spend time with me!" I said slightly joking.

"Yeah, that's the best part of the summer."

"Kou"

"Yeah"

"I love you"

"I love you too. Hopefully more than my mom does."

"I'm surprised"

"I'm not. She's adored you since day one."

"Are you jealous?"

"No. I know how difficult it's been for you to be around us all the time. I'm actually glad she did. You always feel like you don't belong here and that you're a burden. When in reality it's the complete opposite. You do belong here, everyone loves you, and you are far from a burden."

I hug him and start to cry a bit. He reads me like a book. I love him, I could say that a million times and it's still be true.