ninety-seven

As the months drew on, Kakashi's face became more worn down and solemn. Week by week, his eyes looked more tired and hopeless, carrying the weight of meeting after meeting that were all heading towards something that wasn't going to be good for the Leaf Village or the shinobi world.

There was also a cloudy sense of gloom among Konoha. Everywhere, every villager would still force a smile and keep moving forward in their lives, but there was worry behind the grins they wore. Everyone knew what was happening around them, but they didn't want to acknowledge the somber reality:

The Fourth Shinobi World War was upon them.

The plans and vision were relayed to all of the lands, and the ninja forces were established and set in motion. Tension fueled every shinobi and citizen of every village as they waited for the next order.

Kakashi had been among the first to be dispatched as the leader of the Third Division; the division of close and mid-range fighters. Eri was also designated to be a kunoichi of the same division, but since she didn't have the same authority as the remarkably powerful man, she was still a couple days out from leaving for battle.

Her home had been empty for a day already. It felt so lonely without Kakashi there, but it was even worse when considering why he was gone. Deep within her, she couldn't wait for the war to be over. She hadn't seen him truly smile - without a care in the world while being filled with genuine happiness - in several weeks.

But more than anything, Eri was terrified. The peace of the world weighed on the victory of the allied shinobi forces. Losing was not an option, and in addition to that pressure shared by every ninja, she was scared of losing those she had grown to love. She had a family. She had loved ones. And she could not bare to lose all of that again. 

The girl had to get checked over at the hospital by a medical-nin to clear her for the war before leaving the next day. She was among the last quarter of Leaf shinobi to leave the village to their camps, so things were very eerily quiet around her. Because of this, Sakura was able to be the one to look over her.

Casually and confidently, the pinkette quickly reviewed her body, sensing nothing but a healthy fighter. But once she was almost done, she suddenly froze. Her limbs tightened and she met Eri's curious dark irises. The older woman furrowed her brows, and Sakura's green eyes widened with shock.

Sakura couldn't bring herself to say anything, but she just hoped that Eri could pick up on her conclusions. As soon as she whispered, "Eri-san..." tears welled in the said woman's eyes. The salty droplets started to stream down her cheeks and drop to the tiled hospital floor.

"What do I do?" Eri's voice shook anxiously. She was already afraid, but she was full of so much more fear than what she had walked in with.

Sakura was finally able to step back and draw her arms in closer to her body. She glanced away from the tearful girl. "U-um... maybe we can ask Tsunade?" Her voice was also unsteady.

The mauve-haired girl tried to wipe away her relentless tears. "Do you think we can get in contact with Kakashi?"

"Yeah, I think so."

Sakura took the distraught Eri to Inoichi Yamanaka, and with the help of his clan's abilities, she was able to reach the most important person to her.

The shaky girl put a hand on the man's shoulder and closed her eyes. He did the same, and as soon as she thought of the most important person to her, she felt like they were in the same room together.

"Kakashi." she called out without moving her lips.

Kilometers and many lands away, the jonin sat upright at the sound of his beloved's voice in his head. He was looking forward to being able to see her very soon.

"I don't think I can make it out there." Her words echoed as the physically distant Kakashi listened intently. His brows furrowed as he processed her words.

"But don't you dare die out there." Her emotional tone wavered, but she also seemed very certain. "We need you to come back alive."

He remained silent; not because he wanted to, but because he didn't know what he could possible say. A single tear slipped down his cheek, resting at the hem of his navy mask that was dusted with the dry debris of the land.

He had become much softer than he once was. Team Seven had begun to wear down the coldness he used to guard himself, and then Eri melted the most of it, and now he was basically a mushy pillow.

He went from being an accomplished shinobi, to a teacher, to a mentor, to a lover, a boyfriend, and a future husband - at least he hoped to be one day soon - to being a father.