fifty-nine

A second low rumble shook the entire village soon after the first, knocking everyone who wasn't grounded in their chakra off of their feet.

Kakashi and Eri exchanged a look of shock, but once they met each other's eyes, they had an unspoken agreement. The girl raised a brow, and her companion's lips stretched into a thin smirk underneath his mask.

He turned to their friends and ordered, "Kurenai, Asuma, gather the villagers and organize the shinobi to patrol and protect the village. Eri and I will go find them." Before they could object, they took off to take on the unknown enemy.

They didn't get far when Eri had to kick off her traditional oriental shoes in favor of rushing in socks rather than the chunky wood heals. She also gathered the end of her festival yukata and started to tug on it, having proven it difficult to run in.

Kakashi released a whimper, earning a look from the woman. "I wanted to be the one to rip that off you."

"You have no shame." Eri shook her head, but nonetheless tore the brand new garment to where it fell above her knees, making it much easier to move in. It did sadden her that she had to ruin something so nice and costly after only one use. Still, being a kunoichi and protecting her companions always took priority, and the one that bought the yukata was sure to agree.

"I do not."

"You think that maybe you want to work on that?"

"No."

"Kakashi... I'm the one who has to live with you."

"Exactly. So you should know that I've never had any shame."

"I beg to differ."

"Huh, then I must have done a better job than I thought..."

"Better job at what?"

"Hiding how much I constantly wanted to strip you and take you already."

"No shame." Eri gasped and brought her arms protectively close to her body.

"Mmhmm." Her questionable beloved hummed bemusedly, loving every strange reaction he could get from the girl. "That's not what you say in the middle of the night."

She covered her mouth with shock evident in her dark eyes, sucking in a sharp breath as she harshly whispered, "You went there."

"No, I don't think I have." He quickly stepped towards her, intentionally invading her space knowing that no matter what she said - unless it was a clear "no" - she loved him as much as he did her. She could feel his intense gaze practically undressing her already as he grabbed her hip. "But I definitely want to."

He easily swept her feet from underneath her and gently pushed her to the grass, keeping her from getting hurt by cradling her close. "Kakashi..." She whined, but couldn't keep the small grin from her lips.

He pinched the hem of his navy mask and started to pull it from his nose, but just as he was about to take advantage of the moment, the ground shook again.

This time was more violent, and they could hear the sound of rock cracking through the terrain much too closely for comfort.

"Aww..." Kakashi pouted, dropping his head on her shoulder and taking in her scent before he had to be a responsible ninja.

She heftily pat his broad shoulders, signaling for him to get up so that she could, too. But he wouldn't budge. She tried again; this time a little more intently. Again, he procrastinated on facing the opponent as he preferred to just hold her instead.

Finally frustrated that she was pinned to the ground without a way out, she gritted her teeth and muttered, "Shall we remind ourselves of the unrivaled strength of my knees?"

Overwhelmed with a sudden panic that should have been reserved for the impending danger facing Konoha, Kakashi jumped off of the smaller girl and instinctively arched his back, hugging his lower waist protectively.

"Thank you very much." Eri stood to her feet and dusted herself off. "Now, let's go protect our village."

The tall man nonchalantly waved off the circumstances and their little distraction, per his laid-back personality. "It's not like I had forgotten about that at all."