forty-one

The unnamed, but hauntingly familiar man stared at Eri with harsh blue eyes, earning a growl from her, saying, "Like hell I'd choose either."

"Eri, Eri, Eri..." He shook his head, unfazed by her bitterness. "Do you know who you're dealing with?" He raised a brow, eager to get her to succumb to his will.

"Quite frankly, no. You just broke into this inn like it was your own." He finally got her talking.

He chuckled menacingly. "Or like you're my own."

"The hell?" She narrowed her eyes, not dropping her guard for a second.

"I claimed you ten years ago, so now I'm here to reclaim you, or to kill you; your choice."

More angry than anything, she swung a kick at his head, using her jutsu to propel her, then to leap out of the way before he grabbed her ankle. "I don't like those options." She muttered sharply.

"Well..." She tried to kick him again, but he dodged and fought back, moving just as fast as her, if not faster. "Those are your only options."

She took her attacks to the next level by using her kekkei genkai to lift her from the ground, becoming more unpredictable.

Or so she thought. The almost-stranger kept up, showing an affinity for taijutsu. "Shit." She cursed under her breath.

"Yeah, this doesn't look good for you." He stated bluntly. The same smirk he wore never left his thin lips.

Kick after kick, none landed as Eri danced around him. He dodged effortlessly, but none of his attacks succeeded either. There didn't seem to be much effort behind them, however, as it was like he was toying with her; he was only waiting to decide when to end the game.

Finally, he did catch her ankle, and she froze entirely, nearly falling out of her jutsu as she began to gently lower to the floor on the foot that kept her afloat. His touch brought chills to her entire body almost like an other-worldly cold swept through her veins. Her foot and calf were stiff, completely paralyzed.

She understood now what she couldn't as a child. This man's jutsu - other than his obvious skill with taijutsu - stemmed from medical ninjutsu. When he sent his chakra through his opponent's joints, the adjoining limbs were paralyzed until he let go. Even when he did let go of her ankle, it dropped to the floor limply, and it took her a few seconds to regain control of it.

Before she could limp away, he grabbed her wrist to keep her there, then the back of her knee, causing her leg to buckle beneath her and take the other one with her. "Damnit." Her brows furrowed as she tried to figure out how to escape from her circumstances.

"Don't worry, Eri." The blue-eyed man assured with a false kindness. "I'll take good care of you."

Before she regained feeling in her leg, he picked her up and threw her on the bed. She scurried back in an attempt to escape, but all he had to do was to touch her in order to immobilize her limbs.

Her eyes were wide, innocent, and terrified as she helplessly crumbled beneath him. He crawled over her with the smirk that never stopped appearing in her worst nightmares, reminding her of his true aim after the strange first encounter.

"Come on, Eri. Don't look at me like that." He cupped her cheek to force her to look at him as he grabbed one of her knees, pushing it to the side and forcing her legs open.

She screamed, "No!"

And he rushed to cover her mouth. Tears started to stream down her face as she tried to fight back. Yet no matter what, all it took was a touch to paralyze her. Every time she could feel her limbs again, she pushed and kicked and writhed, but to no avail.

This horrible man who approached her as a child and now hunted her down as a young woman fleeing such inhumane treatment and carnal enemies had won. And there was nothing she could do to protect herself.