eighty-four

Eri closed her fingers as the gently rested on Kakashi's chest where her cheek pressed against the thin fabric separating skin from skin. As she processed what she was beginning to understand about the two years she couldn't remember, her heart raced and and her breaths quickened anxiously. She could feel her insides twist and churn beneath her ribcage; not in a negative fashion, but in a confused manner as she sorted out her own feelings.

She felt her knees lift from beneath her and the floor under her feet disappeared. She felt like she was in a dream, so it didn't shake her a bit. Kakashi's arms felt warm and his scent - fresh and clean - was comforting. His touch was enough to calm any insecurity or anxiety she felt.

The next thing she knew, she woke up. Her body stiffened and she sat up, pushing herself away from the warm man holding her. She blinked quickly and gathered her composure and what she felt like was her sanity. Her stomach churned and she felt an overwhelming sense of guilt.

"Ah, I have to go." Eri shuffled off of Kakashi's lap where she ended up drifting to sleep. She couldn't bring herself to meet his sad eye, and she felt extremely confused. She rushed to throw on her shoes and leave because she didn't know what to do about her conflicted emotions...

...and the other person on her mind; the person she was supposed to spend the afternoon with.

"Eri." The white-haired man grabbed her wrist, giving her no choice but to pause and look at him. When she looked up at him with her big, expectant eyes, he lost his train of thought. All he really wanted was her to stay, but instead of saying that without giving her a real reason as to why, he just let go of her and muttered, "See ya."

He shoved his hands in his pockets so that he wouldn't act impulsively again.

Just before leaving, as she still couldn't turn back to look at him, she whispered, "Sorry, Kakashi."

She twisted the doorknob and began to crack it open, but she was abruptly pulled away, forcing her to let go and nearly toppling over as she tripped into Kakashi's sudden hug. He embraced her tightly, his arms around her smaller shoulders and he rested his check on the top of her head.

She dropped her arms to her side, but didn't try to break free.

"Don't apologize for seeing me." His voice was low and rough, and he made sure that she couldn't see the pain in his eye.

She gently nodded, yet her inner uncertainty and confusion kept her from holding him.

----------

The moment Eri saw Anko later that afternoon, the guilt welled within her. She wasn't sure why she felt so guilty about spending so much time with Kakashi, but it was certainly something that troubled her.

As soon as the violet-haired woman casually opened her door to let Eri inside, she was caught off-guard as the confused girl pushed her back, quickly shutting the door behind them, and pinned her to the wall with a decently loud "thud."

Eri planted a heavy kiss on the startled girl's lips and squeezed her wrists even tighter. Once she melted into the fiery passion they shared, she parted from the heated kiss to release a sigh, thinking to herself in relief, 'yes, I like Anko.'