forty-nine

That night as they settled down for bed, Kakashi put his hand on Eri's waist as he always did; it was just close enough so that they knew they were together and safe.

But the vase full of flowers from Kotetsu stared at him from the windowsill, once again filling him with a jealousy that he knew he didn't need to have. "Can I throw out the flowers?" He eventually whispered.

"Why? I think they're pretty." She reasoned softly, looking up at them as well. They were a brightly colored assortment of wildflowers, a lot like Kotetsu's personality.

"I don't like them." Kakashi grumbled.

"What? Are you jealous?" She turned to look at him with a raised brow.

"No." He retorted quickly.

"Well, I don't see you getting me any flowers." She laid back down and muttered, "Besides, it's not like I can even consider dating anyone at all when I live with you."

He squeezed her waist lightly, then asked again, "So, can I throw them out?"

"I mean, it's your place. Do what you want."

He could tell that she did like the flowers and she didn't want him to get rid of them, even though she was willing to do what pleased him. So, he realized a way to make her happy without him having to stare at the flowers from another man.

—————

Eri woke up to an empty bed, which was always a little strange. She rolled over, a little sad that he wasn't there.

But laying in his spot was a single white lily. She pulled it to her and smelled its petals. There was a note tied to its stem, reading "I had to run some errands, I'll be back soon."

She smiled. Kakashi could be so kind and thoughtful at times and it filled her with a sense of warmth. Sitting up, she could see that the flowers Kotetsu had given her were gone. They had been replaced with a bouquet of white lilies like the one that was left on the cold side of the bed. 

He was jealous. He'd get her flowers if it meant making her happy; happier than another man. He'd do anything to keep him on her mind over anyone else. 

But as far as Eri understood, he was just a little protective of her. She rolled her eyes with a smirk, muttering, "what a dork."

She also knew that the longer she kept Kotetsu waiting, the harder it would be for either of them. Because they were friends, she knew his typical schedule and when he'd stand watch at the various entrances of the village. So, she got dressed and went to meet him there. 

Him and his usual partner, Izumo, waited at the gate, not being particularly attentive and not expecting any danger.

"Kotetsu." Eri smiled sadly as she approached them.

"Eri, hi." The dark-haired man was surprised for a moment, stood up straight, and greeted her. His friend rolled his eyes.

"Can we talk?" She asked.

Kotetsu looked to Izumo to see if he could step away for a moment. The typically more responsible man nodded, so Kotetsu followed Eri with a hand on her back. 

"I'm assuming this is about yesterday." He began.

The girl nodded and struggled to meet his narrow, yet gentle eyes. He grinned to make her feel better, because he knew what was coming. "Kotetsu, I really, really care about you."

"Eri." He placed his hands sternly on her shoulders, shocking her into finally looking him in the face. "It's okay." Again, he smiled to assure her.

"I can't return your feelings." She stated, then started to flick her gaze from side to side insecurely. "But I don't want to lose you as my friend."

"You're not going to lose me, Eri." He closed his eyes, continue to force his blissful, nonchalant expression. "I figured it'd be a long-shot anyway with Kakashi so close to you."

Her brow furrowed in confusion, so he quickly dropped any talk of his superior.

"I care about you, too. Obviously."

"I'm really sorry, Kotetsu."

"Don't worry about it; seriously. I'll be okay, and we're still friends. Just give me some time." He ruffled her mauve locks. The sadness and disappointment in his expression saddened her. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah, of course." 

"Yo, Eri!" The one person Kotetsu did not want to see - the one person to drive the knife deeper in his heart - called out to the young woman he was talking to.