fifty-three

There was a gentle rap at Eri's bedroom window. She was lying in bed with the lights off, but couldn't sleep, and after tons of various, subtle noises made her anxious, she learned to ignore them.

So the man tapped on the glass again, and again, until she was convinced that it wasn't just in her head. She looked up, and despite how strange it was that there was a tall man loitering outside her window, she was comforted by seeing him there, even excited to see him there.

She leapt from the bed and opened the window, but all she could say was, "You didn't think to use the front door?"

"Aw, Eri." Kakashi hummed sarcastically as he crept inside, closing the window and locking it. "I missed you, too."

Before he could turn around, she embraced him from behind, resting her cheek on the muscles of his back and feeling his chest rise and fall with his breath underneath her palms. Shyly, she confessed, "I couldn't sleep."

"Me neither." He sighed and stared through the glass, enjoying the sensation of her hugging him. They had been so physically distant for the last year - mostly on his part - that he treasured every moment she gave him.

"Kakashi," she began, nuzzling a little bit closer to him, then stopped herself from finishing the phrase 'I love you' so she wouldn't push him away.

"Eri." He acknowledged.

She let go and stepped away, continuing to hide her flushed face. "Do you want to sleep here for the rest of the night?"

What he couldn't tell her was 'I want you to come back home,' so he just settled for a short and blunt, "yeah."

She kept her back towards him as she grabbed another pillow and pulled the sheets down on the unused side of the bed, welcoming him as if it were natural, but there was an unspoken tension in the air. It was awkward; it was different than what she was used to with his presence.

Kakashi suddenly held her from behind. He wrapped one arm around her chest and shoulders, and the other around her waist, dropping his forehead on her narrow shoulder.

She was tense for a moment, then allowed herself to melt into his warmth, sinking into his embrace as all the weight of reality left her body. She leaned her head on his and placed her smaller hands over his. It didn't matter where they were because this was home.

Part of her wanted to tease him for being so attached to her as she was to him, and part of her wanted to just collapse on the mattress with him holding her closely. But another part was bubbling beneath her skin, causing chills to line her arms and neck. This part was making itself known and dominant, and it was much too late in the night to suppress it.

With her hands guiding his, she slowly brought them closer to her body, sliding the one at her waist lower and lower until it was at her hip. She brought his other hand down the bumps on her arm until that one glided to her waist, feeling the curves of her figure beneath the oversized t-shirt she wore to sleep.

It wasn't that he hadn't touched her or teased her or squeezed her before, but this time was different. He wasn't poking fun at her, and she wasn't taunting him. She seemed to want him to just... touch her.

He let her guide him, only going so far as she'd allow, but he could tell that this was different than all the times before with their questionable personalities and affinity for joking. She was leaning further into him, succumbing to every subtle move of his fingers.

He released a heavy breath, trying to keep himself from doing anything he'd regret, but the temptation was too much. Yes, he loved her, but he was also extremely attracted to her. He squeezed her hip, and he could hear her sigh as if she was stifling a moan.

It was a matter of seconds, but it felt like an hour. He became weak, so he rested a knee on the mattress, keeping her cornered between the bed and his larger, masculine body, but she wasn't protesting. 

Maybe it was the late hour, the sexual tension between them, or that they had waited so long to act on how they felt, but both of them hit the point to where they questioned what was worth waiting for.

They looked at each other and saw the deep, genuine compassion in each other's dark and fulfilled eyes. The loneliness either of them experienced until they met each other was entirely gone when they were together. 

Eri sucked in a breath and squeezed her eyes closed. But before she turned and opened them again, Kakashi had met her halfway.

He let go of her body, pinched her chin with one hand and pulled down his mask with the other, claiming her lips before she could exhale.