nineteen

The group dropped off their belongings in their rooms for the night and the three genin rushed off to the changing rooms so they could soak in the hot springs as soon as possible. The younger ninjas would share a room that was adjoining with the adults' room, which Kakashi and Eri had to share seen as the Hokage's agreement for the woman to stay in Konoha was that Kakashi would keep a close eye on her, or so he reasoned with himself.

Eri had no problem stripping down to her latex under-shorts and athletic bra in front of her roommate; it was like a bathing suit, and she was very comfortable in her own skin. She pulled on a robe provides by the hotel they were in and the two of them proceeded to join the genin in the communal hot spring.

The hotel was like a old-fashioned traditional Japanese house but larger, with an exterior walkway going from room to room. A stream ran alongside the outside of the inn , trickling into the larger pools that were being sourced by the steamy underground wells. The peace and tranquility of the war-free Hot Spring Village could be seen and felt by anyone who was traveling through.

Once the adults arrived at the communal hot spring - neither of which too happy to be around that many people - there was already a sense of chaos brought about by the genin. Naruto was being, well, himself, and Sakura was scolding him, fuming with an immeasurable pre-teen, feminine rage. Sasuke was in a corner either sulking or resting in the soothing water under the shade of a large tree.

Kakashi sat on the edge of the pool, pulled up the hem of his pants, and soaked his feet in the vitamin-rich water while reading. With how often he read Icha Icha, he had to have gone through each book several times by the time they started the trip.

Eri tied her mauve-colored locks in a bun so they wouldn't get wet and sunk into the steam-coated pool, relaxing as much as she could surrounded by strangers, a questionable man not taking full advantage of the hot springs, and three very dynamic kids.

"You should get in the water." She suggested with a pleasant hum. "It's good for you."

"Is it?" He raised the brow of his visible eye, but didn't look at her, which he dared not to do because he clearly had a physical attraction towards her. What she wore as a makeshift swimsuit wasn't particularly revealing; he just didn't want to be caught looking because when he looked - or stared - he wanted to touch and tease and see how she'd react, and that was "dangerous."

"Yes." She pressed. "Unless you're shy." She returned a taunting brow and flicked her dark irises towards him.

"Why would I be shy?" His tone was nonchalant as he turned the page of his novel.

Something about not having the entirety of his attention while she spoke to him made her chest tighten. She was not an attention-seeker and she certainly did not want to be in the spotlight ever, but something about the way that the strange and slightly confusing white-haired shinobi treated her was making her feel odd.

The water, filled with rich nutrients from its underground source, was not as translucent as any other body of water. It could only be seen through about five centimeters deep. She grabbed onto his bare ankle beneath the surface. She bit her lower lip and hummed quietly so only he'd hear. "Because you're surrounded by a bunch of pretty, half-naked women at an extremely relaxing and steamy hot spring." She teased and leaned closer to him.

He seemed to be even more intent on not looking at her, only allowing a little bit of shock to show in his eye. The tone in his voice was low and unwavering as he blurted out, 

"I only care to see one pretty, half-naked woman."