sixty-seven

Obviously, Kakashi left Eri's apartment that morning without getting what he wanted.

She had actually ushered him out after a while. She had to go see Tsunade for an update on her status with her health as well as in the village, which she was perfectly okay with handling on her own, unlike the first time when she wasn't allowed to leave his side.

So, he solemnly waited until the next time he could see her. And hopefully, he wouldn't freak her out again.

Meanwhile, Eri gently knocked on the door of the Hokage's office and was soon greeted by her assistant. Inside, the blonde woman called out to her, "Ah, good afternoon, Miss Eri. Come in."

"Hello, Tsunade-sama." The mauve-haired girl bowed respectfully.

"How are you acclimating?"

"Somewhat good, I guess." She gave a closed-eyed grin.

"Do you feel differently than before you blacked out? Do things feel a little less intimidating than what you thought they'd be?"

"Yeah, that seems so. I have instinctual impressions towards people I can only assume I had relationships  with that I can't remember."

"What about Kakashi?" Tsunade was always very forward.

"What about him?"

"Has he been around?"

"Yeah, more than anyone. He came by this morning with breakfast."

"What is your instinct about him?"

"Um, it's kind of hard to explain. I felt particularly drawn to him when I first met him; or I guess that was the second time considering I don't remember the first. I felt like I just wanted to be around him. And I get the sense that he's just... a safe person."

"That's accurate. At least, he is if you're on his good side."

"I don't know if I deserve to be on his good side. I don't remember anything."

Tsunade knew that Kakashi hadn't told her about their status before the attack, but she also didn't know of how much else he told her. So, she sighed and wore a warm, motherly smile. "You guys were really close."

"Yeah, that's what he told me. I can't really imagine myself being so close to someone to the extent that I've told him everything; or so that's what I'm gathering." Eri's brows knitted together in confusion.

"This must be a lot for you to take in."

"It is... but it's strange. I can tell that I've changed from when I must have first come to the village."

"You aren't a different person, per se, but you are much more comfortable than you were two-and-a-half years ago."

"I can tell." The girl chuckled, realizing all that the Hokage had wanted to do was check on her and see if she had remembered anything.

There were two raps on the office door as a woman said, "Oi, Tsunade-sama. You called for me?" Before her superior could acknowledge her or Shizune could get the door, she let herself inside.

"Yes, Anko, I did." Tsunade answered calmly.

The new woman - Anko - realized Eri was there. "Ah, sorry Eri. I didn't see that you were here. Are you guys in the middle of something."

Eri could tell that she probably didn't have an extensive relationship with the violet-haired woman in a mesh body-suit. She didn't have a particular instinct about her, so there must have not been a deep relationship between them.

The expression on the mauve-haired girl must have given away her confusion in trying to figure out the new character. Tsunade interjected, "Eri lost her memory. She probably doesn't know who you are, Anko."

"Really?!" The energy within the woman started to bubble from beneath her skin. "Sorry, Eri! I'm Anko Mitarashi. I hope I didn't seem too rude." She leaned back on her heals and rubbed the back of her head where her straight hair was collected in a fan-like style. She wore a wide, toothy grin that held a hint of mischief.

Eri questioned why she didn't have any particular instincts or underlying feelings regarding Anko; she seemed too interesting to not know very well, although she seemed more interesting underneath the surface of what she was showing their Hokage.