one hundred one

When Eri woke up a few hours later, everything was completely cleaned. It smelt like bleach and lemon, and there was no sign of what had happened around the apartment. Sakura came over after the immediate festivities of everyone coming home after a victorious war; she visited as soon as she heard that something had happened with Eri's pregnancy.

The pinkette healed what needed to heal, but confirmed that she had lost the baby. It had been a result of the genjutsu that took over the world, as well as the tree roots that consumed everyone affected and sucked out the life energy she had, or the life energy that was growing within her. The baby was a casualty of the war, and would never be forgotten. The hope that Eri and Kakashi shared when neither thought that having a family - having a future, kids, and a legacy - was a feeling that they couldn't ever let go of.

Eri was still pretty low for the rest of the day and into the evening, despite Kakashi being home. He did everything he could to take care of her and make her feel better, but at this point she just needed to grieve.

Late into the night, he was finally able to bring her to bed, which had been completely cleaned with new, fresh sheets that had no sign of what happened that morning.

Trapped within her head, the man pulled her to his shoulder as he read so that she could at least feel comforted by him. Eventually, she nuzzled into his warmth and hugged his torso, starting to read along with him.

He drew in a deep breath, closed his book, and hugged her back.

"What if..." The girl started to mutter, her voice hoarse and shaky, "... I'll never be able to..."

He squeezed her assuredly. "Eri..."

In her distress, she cut him off, "What if I can't give you a family?" Her voice cracked.

He cupped her cheek and finally caught her teary gaze. This was the first time since he came home that she noticed that both of his eyes were open, lovingly holding her attention in their dark irises. His sharingan was gone and he looked at her with two pure and warm eyes.

"Before you, I had nothing but my students. The thought of having someone by my side - someone to come home to and rely on when I need to - was something I could only read about-"

"Did you just compare me to Icha Icha?" She interjected, her personality already starting to return to her defeated body.

Kakashi breathed out a chuckle. "That's not what I meant. Although, there are some comparisons." He hummed bemusedly then quickly snapped back to his point. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Yeah, having kids with you would also be nice, but you are enough, Eri." He pressed his forehead to hers. "All I need to be happy is you."

He could feel her relaxing beneath his fingertips. For the first time since he returned home, she cracked a small grin. "You know, you should consider taking off your mask in bed." Her eyes shone just a little bit brighter.

Per her subtle request, he pulled down his navy mask and smiled at her. 

"Eri, I want to marry you."