seventy-five

"What's the plan tomorrow?" Eri felt compelled to push Anko into the reality of the fact that they were in the tourist village for a mission, after all.

The violet-haired woman was lying on the floor of their room in the inn, clearly more interested in the vacation-like location rather than their responsibilities as ninjas. She released a heavy sigh. "I figured we'd just go out and ask for stories from the villagers. They should be able to give us a lead."

"Anko, are you taking this seriously?" Eri narrowed her dark eyes, already knowing that their first evening in Yugakure proved to be non-productive.

"Of course I am." Anko frowned and looked at the other girl with bitter eyes.

Eri raised a quizzical brow, pressing her further.

"I already know every street in this village, how busy or quiet they are, the back alleys and how frequently they're traveled, where they all intersect, and I have a list of likely places where this guy might attack."

This did catch the more serious of the two off-guard. Anko always came off as distracted, unprofessional, and mischievous.

"What? I am pretty good at this kunoichi thing." The ever-surprising woman smirked.

"Could have fooled me." Eri shrugged, hiding how impressed she actually was at how much the jonin had learned and accomplished in having just walked through the village once or twice.

Anko rolled over and rested her chin on her palms. "I think you're actually pretty impressed." She recognized immediately.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, sweetheart." The mauve-haired woman wore a closed-eyed grin and dropped her head to the side.

"Are you deflecting your true feelings with passive-aggressive flirtation?" Anko narrowed her tawny eyes at the other girl, maintaining a prideful smirk.

"No, and..." Eri blinked and furrowed her brows, trying to understand her comment, "no...?" Her pitch turned upwards in uncertainty.

"You sound confused." The taller woman slowly stood.

"I wasn't until you started saying weird things."

"You like it when I catch you off-guard." Anko hummed.

"What are you getting at?" Eri's eyes followed the other woman across the room as she leisurely approached her.

The more questionable of the two chuckled under her breath, smirking as she watched Eri's cheeks become redder with every step she took. "I think you know, Eri-chan."

"Um, no. I don't."

"You're blushing." Anko kneeled in front of her, taking a strand of the lighter hair between her fingers and bringing it close to her lips, leaning in enough that the other girl could feel the warmth of her skin emanating from her body.

"What do you expect?!" Eri's voice was higher and her face grew to an even brighter red.

The taller girl started to lean over the other, and Eri shrunk beneath her. "You know, you can push me away whenever you want." Anko's voice became lower and she narrowed her pupil-less eyes.

Eri squeaked when she lost her balance and fell backwards. The violet-haired woman kneeled on either side of her waist and loomed over her. Eri still wasn't pushing her away, even as she traced the side of her face down to her chin.

"Eri-chan..." Anko sung.

Eri's dark eyes were wide as she wasn't exactly sure how she was feeling about what was happening.

"I kinda want to kiss you..."