one hundred

Eri didn't check back into reality until Kakashi walked through the door. She didn't hear the cheers when the Leaf shinobi returned to the village. She didn't hear the victorious commander unlock and open the door. She didn't hear him the first three times he called her name.

The man was quickly overcome with sadness and fear when he saw how broken the girl was. He kneeled before her where she sat on the edge of the bed, staring off into nothingness.

He grabbed both of her hands and found her distant gaze. "Eri." He said in a stern, but still loving whisper. "Eri, I'm home."

Finally, her attention was pulled back to the moment. She had been frozen in shock and heartbreak for who know's how long. Water welled in her dark eyes and she finally muttered with a wobbly lower lip, "Kakashi..."

She fell forward, dropping her head on his strong shoulder and began to sob uncontrollably. Her body trembled as he hugged her, letting her release everything that she was feeling. He felt so incredibly guilty that he wasn't there to support her; he wasn't there when she found out she was pregnant, and he wasn't there when she realized she had miscarried. All he could do was be there for her now, but he didn't feel like it was enough. He felt that she deserved more. While she broke down in tears over the loss - which he was equally devastated by - he was heartbroken over how much agony she was experiencing.

He let her cry on his shoulder until she stopped shaking. Then, he picked her up, carried her beneath her knees and back and brought her to the bathroom. He laid her down in the tub with her back resting on his chest, nestled between his larger and stronger arms and legs. He turned on the shower hot water could run down her body and soothe her. The water quickly soaked her clothes, making them cling onto her figure like an all-over hug.

Kakashi let his head rest on her shoulder as he held her. She eventually brought her head back to lean on his.

"I'm sorry." Eri eventually mumbled. The water from the shower head mixed with her tears as the droplets clung to her eyelashes and the ends of her messy mauve hair.

The man squeezed her waist. "Don't be." He wiped her wet bangs to the side of her forehead and placed a gentle kiss there. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"But I..." Her voice wavered, threatening more tears, "... I couldn't- my body..." She couldn't find the write words.

His heart broke for her. His heart broke for the loss of their unborn child, but it also broke for her and her pain. He wished he could take it all away and carry it all himself. There was nothing he could say to make her feel better. All he could do was be there for her.

"Eri, you're so strong." He whispered. "You're so much stronger than I could ever be."

She didn't respond because she didn't believe him.

"But I'm here now."

Finally washed free from her trance-like state, she shifted to her side and nestled more comfortably against his chest.

Kakashi waited until she fell asleep to turn off the water and lay her down - in fresh, clean clothes - on the couch.