sixty-six

The next morning Kakashi got up particularly early, especially for him. But he couldn't sleep well to begin with. He hadn't gotten a decent night's sleep since Eri wasn't there.

He was already headed to her apartment, having gone into the village to get some of her favorite pastries from the best bakery in Konoha. Even though he was still troubled by her memory loss, the thought of seeing her smile again made him eager and happy. He also knew it would take time, but he was determined to make her fall for him - again.

He privately shamed himself for being so pathetic.

Nonetheless, he knew Eri. He knew what time she'd wake up on a normal day. He knew that she'd need thirty minutes after that to get herself together before answering the door to anyone or leaving, and he knew that she wouldn't eat breakfast unless someone made her some, brought her something, or if he forced her to.

He knocked gently on her door. And surely enough - like he knew she would - Eri opened the door.

She blinked her wide, dark eyes and looked up at the tall, grinning man bearing gifts. "Good morning, Eri." Seeing her face made most everything better for him.

"Kakashi?"

"Yes?" He hummed.

"Good... morning?" She was clearly confused and didn't share the same overwhelming bliss that filled his chest.

Even though he felt like he had prepared and planned, he had no idea what to do at this point. Should he ask to come in? Should he give her the food - which was for the both of them - and leave? Would she e okay with spending time with him? How did she feel about him? Did you move too soon? Did she feel uncomfortable around him? Did she hate him? His mind spiraled and his heart dropped more and more with each passing moment.

Eri's lips suddenly stretched into a warm, toothy grin. "Is that food? It smells really good! Come in, come in!" She stepped back and beckoned for him to come inside, offering him so much relief.

He shut the door behind him and began to set the pastries and breads on the table as the girl grabbed plates, napkins, and utensils for two.

"How are you feeling?" Kakashi finally asked, trying to gauge how she felt about him.

"Um, well, I feel fine physically. From what I understand, there wasn't much physical damage in the first place." She joined him at the table. "But I guess I just feel strange. I may not remember the last two-and-a-half years, but I feel like I've changed. I feel different than when I lost consciousness. I have just kinda ingrained instincts towards people I've met since I woke up that I wouldn't have had."

"What do you mean?"

Eri met his eye. He hadn't started eating as she had taken a few bites in between words. He was intently focused on her. "Like towards you; I told you yesterday that I had this sense that we were close. I feel strangely comfortable and trusting of you." She looked away, suddenly shy. "I'm not sure if you know much about what I've been through, but I'm not trusting of people, and it's for very good reasons."

"I don't mean to freak you out," the white-haired man began and scratched his head, "but I know everything. You told me."

The girl 's eyes widened with shock. "I told you?" She gasped.

"Yeah..."

"Wow." She shuffled in her seat slightly. The thought of this man she hardly knew, yet felt disturbingly comfortable with, knowing all of her deepest, darkest secrets made her feel insecure. "We must have really been close."

Kakashi's stomach twisted and he regretted his decision to tell her more about their closeness. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"Oh, no, no." She waved her hands to signify your clarification. "I mean, I am a bit uncomfortable that I've shared my past. But I'm not uncomfortable with you at all. Other than the fact that it's a bit concerning that I'm as comfortable with you as I am at this point."

"Ah..." He was just as conflicted as she was. He couldn't figure out what was the right thing to do in every moment when all he really wanted was to kiss her.