sixty-two

"Huh?" Eri blinked quickly, trying to understand her situation that was more confusing to her than anyone else. "I've been out for more than two years?" She questioned.

The blonde woman shook her head with a sad grin, and the man on the other side of her looked so pale that she wondered if he was the one who needed to be in the hospital. "For the past two-and-a-half years, you've been building a life here in Konoha. You see, I'm Tsunade, the Hokage. You've actually become a kunoichi of our village." She explained, hoping not to freak out the poor girl too much.

She gestured to the white-haired shinobi.  "And Kakashi here, he -"

He cut her off. "I've been a friend." He stated bluntly, his masculine voice shaking on the last syllable.

His answer caught Tsunade off guard, but she continued. "He has... helped you adjust and... establish yourself here." She was clearly searching for words.

Kakashi got up abruptly and left the room. He couldn't look at Eri, but she didn't know that he was being torn apart inside. He felt like someone had died.

His pink-haired student was right outside the door, listening in on the whole conversation as she had been assisting with the young woman's healing. When she saw her teacher clearly distraught and hurt - contrary to his typically stoic self - she called out to him. "Kakashi-sensei."

"Yes, Sakura?" He paused, but the girl could hear how much pain he was in.

"What are you going to do?"

He couldn't offer her an answer because he didn't know, himself.

"Kakashi-sensei." Sakura sighed solemnly. "I have faith... that she'll remember." Her big green eyes were innocent and more hopeful than his was. "And deep down, she knows who you are to her."

He gathered himself, assuming an air of confidence when he didn't feel it at all. He felt he had to seem strong and stable in front of a younger kunoichi that looked up to him. He forced a smirk beneath his mask and ruffled her short hair. "I'm sure she'll come around soon." He lied. He wasn't sure at all. The fact that she couldn't remember him cut deeply.

It was obvious to the younger girl that her teacher was forcing his demeanor, but he'd never listen to her. All she could do was try to kindly assure him of things she couldn't be certain of. "Now that she's awake and we know this is a result of the Sand ninja's genjutsu, we can release her from the hospital tomorrow."

"She doesn't remember me, Sakura." Kakashi picked up on what she was beginning to suggest.

"Come on, Kakashi-sensei. Nothing is going to change if you don't try. Just... come back to take her home."

He sighed heavily, then walked away, unsure of what exactly he was going to do.

Nonetheless, he did return to the hospital the next day. He went in and out of the waiting area, still not decided on whether or not he should be the one to take her to her home or reintroduce her to Konoha. He wasn't sure if he could handle it. 

Still, as he paced and was trying to make up his mind, the painfully familiar woman appeared before him. He hadn't even been paying attention enough to notice her walking up to him. Tsunade and Sakura were a fair distance behind her, and both were incredibly pleased to see that he had come back to guide her through the village.

"Kakashi, right?" Eri flashed a bright smile and ran a hand through her mauve locks uncomfortably. "I'm actually really glad to see you again." She hummed matter-of-factly. Her dark eyes were oddly warm and trusting, despite not remembering who he was and who he was to her.

"Ah, yeah." He shoved a hand in his pocket, and ran a hand through his own thick, white hair. 

"Great!" The confident blonde leader placed her hands on her hips decisively. "Kakashi can take you back to your place. If you have any questions, he's the guy to ask." She walked past Eri and paused by Kakashi's side, placing a palm on his shoulder as she whispered, "Don't you dare give up on her," before leaving for her office.

Whether or not Eri remembered him, her smile still made him melt. Seeing her white grin as she was entrusting him with his informal task at taking her to what was supposedly her home softened him more than he thought it would. She may not know what they had, but he could never forget.

So, he acknowledged her with a closed-eye smirk and held out a hand. "Come with me, Miss Eri."