eighty

Once she had a taste, Anko couldn't resist Eri. She knew that when she crossed the line with the girl, she wouldn't be able to step back and detach emotionally, but she also couldn't resist her in the first place. Yet, now was not the time; it couldn't be the time. Tusnade could walk in at any moment.

Anko grabbed both of Eri's hands and turned her around so that she was facing her, and pushed her back to the wall. With one more heated kiss and a tug on the shorter girl's lower lip, Anko exhaled and whispered, "Not here, and not now." And in an even lower voice, nearly growling, "And you better believe that I'm not just leading you on." She then let go of Eri and stepped back. Returning to a normal speaking tone. "Now, we're both going to stay here and report to our Hokage, and you can stop freaking out about this."

Eri stood up straight. "Well," she huffed and straightened her clothes, "I wouldn't have freaked out if you hadn't confused me with your mixed signals in the first place."

"Well, okay then." Anko snapped back with a smirk, characteristically lightening the mood. "That should have cleared things up for you."

"And it did."

"Stop pouting."

"Fine."

"You're just sexually frustrated."

"Excuse you."

"'Excuse you' miss "take me on this desk already." Anko mocked with a mischievous glint in her tawny eye.

Eri scoffed. "That is not what I said."

"Maybe not with your words, but you certainly did with your body." Anko's low voice was enough to make chills erupt down Eri's arms.

Aimlessly walking through the streets of the Hidden Leaf Village, Kakashi was desperately trying to stay trapped within the business of the people around him so that he wasn't alone with his thoughts and overwhelming emotions.

"Yo, Kakashi." A gruff voice interrupted the downward spiral in his head. "What'chu up to?"

"Ah, Asuma." The monotonous hopelessness was obvious in the silver-haired man's tired voice.

"You look like a ghost, man." Asuma observed, grinding the smoking cigarette in between his teeth with concern on his worn-looking face.

"I feel like one, too."

"Did something happen?"

"Other than my girlfriend not remembering who I am to her or our relationship altogether? I guess not." Kakashi sighed heavily and pinched his brows in frustration, but that visible frustration hid his true hurt and sadness.

"I know that." The dark-haired man breathed out a puff of smoke. "You knew that. She just got back from her mission, right?"

"Yeah."

"Why aren't you with her?"

"It's not easy."

"Come on, man." Asuma grew more irritated as he could tell there was something deeper going on. "There's no way you're giving up that easily."

Kakashi threw his head back and released a guttural noise that sounded somewhere between a groan and scream. "Ah, shit." His words drew out, deflated and full of pain.

His friend could tell he was hurting, so the sympathetic man hung his arm around Kakashi's shoulders. "Let's go get a beer."