"Nothing Will Happen To Me"

Summary: Gwaine finds out about Merlin's magic and goes ballistic.

______________________________________

There were many things Gwaine could do. He could beat Arthur in a fight, not that Arthur would admit it. He could woo anyone, except Gwen and Merlin. He could drink himself to death and still not die. He could also rub his hair with dirt and grime and still manage to make it look good. So yes, Gwaine could do a lot many things.

However, the one thing he simply couldn’t do was not make trouble where he went. He was a magnet for conflict and trouble. But he did not get into much trouble until he met Merlin. The first time, they met during a brawl in the tavern. The second time, it was during another fight in another tavern. The third and last time they met was in Jarls dungeons.

The point is, Gwaine was certain that more than himself, trouble followed Merlin wherever he went. What he couldn’t figure out was why? Why Merlin? Isn’t he just a servant? Unless he was buggering the royal Prince turned King Arthur, there truly was nothing more to him than his wit and charm.

Soon enough, Gwaine discovered what made Merlin so special. He had magic. Merlin had shown it to him in a burst of confidence and although Gwaine was an honorable man, he couldn’t simply put that to rest.

So here he was, ten hours after the magic reveal, setting Arthur’s chamber’s curtains on fire, just to see Merlin’s reaction.

What the hell is wrong with you?!” Merlin screeched, batting him away from the flames and extinguishing them with a wave of his hand. Gwaine struggled to conceal his gleeful grin when Merlin turned to glare him down.

“What if Arthur had walked in?!” Merlin asked with his hands on his hips, a frown on his face. Gwaine shrugged. “Princess is too oblivious to notice it.”

“Like you were until I told you?”

Gwaine pretended to think about it and gave a sheepish smile. “Fair enough.”

Merlin pointed a finger at him and walked out, saying, “Do not do anything stupid, Gwaine. Or I will turn you into a toad.” Gwaine grinned at his back, and rubbed his palms, the next scheme already taking form in his mind.

---

“Why are we doing this again?” Percival asked, as he quietly removed the hinges from the throne room’s door. Gwaine thumped his back and crouched next to him. “Because I really want to see Merlin magic it proper.”

Percival frowned but said nothing. Quickly, and silently, the duo removed the door, and together, they carried it and hid it in Gwaine’s chambers. They repeated this with nearly all the doors in the castle, and by the time the sun was about to rise, they had stripped the castle of all the doors, except Arthur’s. Gwaine and Percy shared a victorious high-five, before promptly collapsing in Gwaine’s bed together, too exhausted to move.

The next thing Gwaine knew, water was being splashed on his face as he spluttered awake. Next to him, Percival had abruptly sat up, eyes wide and gasping at the cold contact. Gwaine rubbed the water from his face and found Merlin in front of him with glowing eyes. A jar, presumably empty now, floated in the air next to him.

Merlin had a deep scowl etched on his red face, and without uttering a word, he turned on his heel and marched out, the jar flying out right behind him. Gwaine shared a sheepish grin with Percival, who was turning a deep shade of red when Merlin’s voice rang out from outside. “If you do something stupid again, Gwaine, I will not help you again.”

He rolled his eyes at his pettiness and sank back into his bed. His thoughts raced as he decided what to do next. He looked at Percival who was playing with the hem of his shirt, seeming uncertain as well and caught his hand. The man looked up with wide eyes and Gwaine pulled him into bed. They sank into the mattress in each other’s arms, and he put his head on Percy’s shoulder.