Of Crown And Roses

Summary: After the events of a tiresome day for the Prince, he manages to return from his quest in one piece. As his manservant takes care of his wounds, secrets that have been long hidden are unveiled within the walls of the royal chambers to test the real measure of love.

_______________________________________

The bloodstained cloth fell from Merlin’s shaky hand again and he bent down to pick it up and dip it in the water-filled bowl on Arthur’s bedside. Arthur was sitting on the edge of his bed with his shirt off while Merlin took care of the fresh wound on his right shoulder. Goosebumps covered his masculine arms from how chilly the air was in his chambers, and the longer Merlin took to clean the gash, the colder he grew. He was tired and his whole body ached from having been riding almost all day.

As for the injury he stared down at as he waited for Merlin to resume, he didn’t know how he’d managed to get back here without any other ones. It was the last day of the year which meant that Arthur had to go on one of those traditional quests where his fighting and leadership skills were tested. He had to go on his own without any men, even Merlin. Arthur vividly remembers how Merlin hated these customs and wished that they never existed. 

There was not a time when he left without Merlin trying to talk him out of going. He knew that the reason behind every argument was good. No matter how hard Merlin tried to hide it, Arthur could see how worried he seemed every time he brought up this talk.

But this time, it was really getting out of hand.

“Merlin, I’m fine .” Arthur slightly shrugged his shoulders to prove his words, but he ended up only moving his good shoulder. 

Merlin didn’t respond, instead his eyes only flickered to meet Arthur’s before he sat on his knees so he could be closer to the cut he was cleaning. 

“Merlin.” Arthur called again, this time a bit softer. 

“Hold still.” he quietly said, still avoiding his gaze as he focused on his work. His voice was faint, which tugged at Arthur’s heart. 

Merlin’s hand twitched, accidentally grazing Arthur’s sensitive skin. He flinched at the sudden sting of pain, but he was quick enough to catch Merlin’s hand that instantly pulled away as soon as that happened. His grip was soft yet firm enough not to let Merlin’s hand slip out of his.

“What’s wrong?” Arthur sincerely asked. 

He expected a fiery comeback from him, but he was met with silence. He was still refusing to meet his eyes, doing a good job at turning his head in every direction except Arthur’s. 

“Merlin.” Arthur repeated, letting go of his hand only to place the tips of his fingers right under Merlin’s chin to raise his head up.

He let out a low breath at the sight of Merlin’s teary eyes. 

“You got lucky today.” Merlin whispered.

“This is my life, Merlin.” Arthur said, hating how shaken up Merlin looked. “As a prince, a warrior..” he sighed, letting his hand fall into his lap. “Even when I become king. I can’t escape who I am, and you should have become used to it by now.”

“No, do not ask me to ever get used to this.” he shook his head. “I can’t.”

He didn’t give Arthur a chance to say something before he continued.