When The Truth Comes Out

Summary: When a vengeful sorcerer kidnaps Arthur, Merlin will do anything to keep him safe. Even if that means revealing his magic.

_______________________________________

It was meant to be a patrol. Nothing that would take more than a few hours. They weren’t supposed to venture more than a few miles away from the citadel.

Merlin hadn’t gone with them. There was an outbreak of some sort of illness in the lower town and so Merlin had stayed back to help Gaius. He thought Arthur would be fine. He had more than enough knights with him and bandits didn’t have the tendency to stray so close to the castle. They were supposed to be safe. Arthur was supposed to be safe. 

But instead, hours after the party was expected back, Gwaine and Elyan are riding into the citadel - both of them battered and bruised.

“Where’s Arthur?” Merlin bites out sharply, the absence of blonde hair sending his heart into overdrive.

“They took him,” Gwaine pants, exerted by the effort it took to dismount, his hand hovering over his ribs.

“They? Who are they?” Merlin’s voice is too high, his stomach clenching painfully. “What happened?” 

Elyan sucks in a deep breath, allowing a stable hand to take their horse as he and Gwaine start to make their way to Gaius’ chambers, Merlin trailing behind them anxiously as he begins to explain.

“Ambush. We heard screaming -- a woman begging for mercy and went to help but it was a trap. They had a sorcerer with them and by the time the fight was over, Arthur was gone. We don’t even know which direction they went.”

“No -- that’s not -- but -” Merlin stutters, his words failing him. Arthur had been kidnapped and they had no idea who had him or a clue as to where they’ve taken him. He could be seriously injured or -

No. The alternative was unthinkable. 

Merlin’s breathing had begun to grow erratic without him noticing as he had allowed his thoughts to stray but Gwaine’s hand resting on his shoulder brought him back.

“Merlin,” He says sternly from where he’s seated on Gaius’ workbench. “If they’ve kidnapped him, it’s for a reason. They’ll probably hold him as ransom. Someone will come soon with a message, I’m sure,” He tries to soothe but Merlin won’t hear him.

“No,” He shakes his head, lips worrying his lower lip as he rips out of Gwaine’s grasp and begins to pace. “You can’t know that. What if it’s not a ransom they seek? What if they want him dead? We can’t just sit back and wait! He needs us!” 

Gaius enters the room, his eyes glancing over the two injured knights and Merlin. “What’s happened?”