A Gift For You (And Another, And Another One)

Summary: Everything Uther ever prohibited Arthur from getting, he is suddenly receiving.

Or, Merlin decides to give one last ‘fuck you’ to Uther in the form of gift giving.

_______________________________________

I

Arthur stared at the neatly packed flute that lay on his desk with bewilderment and slight mistrust.

It’s not that he didn’t like the gift, because he did. The musical instrument was finely carved out of some sort of white wood the blond had never seen in his life, and the case in which it had come in was also made of another type of wood he didn’t recognize, the Pendragon sigil carved onto it with extreme detail.

But-

Well, Arthur was wary because it looked exactly like the flute he’d received on his 8th name day from Leon’s now late father, and that had subsequently been thrown out by his father when the little Prince expressed interest in wanting to learn to play the instrument more efficiently. His tutor had told him he had talent-

“Kings don’t go dandling around playing music, Arthur” Uther had sternly said as the small flute burned in the fireplace on Arthur’s chambers, while his son lay next to him trying hard not to cry as the beautiful instrument was reduced to ashes.

Blinking against the memory, the new King carefully reached onto the flute, finding it surprisingly light to carry.

Just as he remembered the brief present to have been.

Arthur wanted to be suspicious, he did.

After all, he’d been King for only a month, and Merlin had just jested that it was surprising that no-one had tried an assassination attempt yet.

Then again, Merlin would have most likely known if the flute was a threat to Arthur-

“Pretty, isn’t it?”

Speaking of the warlock.

Arthur turned to look at his friend, who was looking at him with some sort of pretend disinterest, raising an eyebrow at him.

Well, if Merlin didn’t look suspicious…

“You’re not going to go at it saying it’s enchanted to make me fall in love with my reflection or how if I play it I’ll die?” he asked anyway with bemusement, twirling the flute on his hands, admiring the craftsmanship.

“Nah, it’s ordinary” Merlin said, grinning. There was a glint in his eyes that Arthur couldn’t put his finger on, “Also, look! There’s a note!” he added a little too excitedly, pointing at the case.

The blond blinked in response, turning to the box, and indeed, there was a small piece of parchment on the bottom, nearly hidden by the silk fabric that covered the inside of the case.

I hope you finally get to play to your hearts content

Arthur narrowed his eyes at the note, the feeling of suspicion coming back.

Whoever had gifted him the flute, had somehow known about the previous one. Or heard about the incident.

“Are you sure it’s safe?” Arthur asked, gripping the object tightly. He’d only been holding it for less than half a candle mark and the childish urge to play it was back.