When The Meaning Is gone (There Is Clarity)

Summary: a tired but bamf merlin protects arthur and the knights!!

(BAMF means "bad ass mother f*ucker")
______________________________________

Merlin kneeled slowly, all sounds drowning out to focus on the one to which his world revolves around: his king. 

His entire world, his whole existence, was this man in front of him. 

Arthur, his eyes fixed on Merlin’s, spoke into the quiet, crowded throne room, his voice full of strength, “Merlin, son of Hunith and Balinor,” Arthur paused here to smile at him, “do you swear to protect Camelot and her people for as long as you live? To protect what you and I have built together, for as long as we exist?”

Merlin, steeling himself, refusing to voice the nerves racking through him, spoke loud and clear, “I swear. I will protect Camelot, her people, and her King for as long as I draw breath.”

Merlin bowed his head, his breath hitching when Arthur placed the silver coronet, shaped like intertwining dragons, on his head.

The weight felt heavy on his brow. 

Arthur, clearly delighted, spoke once more, “Rise, Merlin, as Camelot’s Court Warlock. From now until our end.”

Merlin stood, his legs threatening to buckle underneath him, and looked at Arthur. For the first time, Merlin was truly speechless. 

Arthur laughed, such a free sound that Merlin’s heart tightened, and pulled Merlin into a fierce hug with him on the dais.  

Merlin chuckled into Arthur’s neck, “I don’t think this is protocol, Sire.”

Arthur smiled against him, “Says who? You’re part of my court, officially now, so we create the rules.”

Merlin leaned back, his eyes watering, “A court to change the world?”

Arthur’s answering grin made Merlin’s heart flutter, and his king turned him around to face the people. 

The noise returned to Merlin’s ears then, the chanting of his name over and over hitting him at full volume—the sound almost hurting his ears. He couldn’t contain his beam when he saw the Knights of the Roundtable in the front row, chanting the loudest, especially Lancelot and Gwaine, who both had proud tears glimmering in their eyes. 

Gwen, holding Lancelot’s hand tightly, looked so happy that Merlin’s eyes watered once more. 

He looked at each member of his family in their eyes, put his hand on his heart, and bowed deeply to them.

The roaring doubled until Arthur signaled for silence—everyone stopped at once. 

Merlin faced Arthur again, his king already smiling at him. Arthur slung his arm over Merlin’s shoulders, “We shall feast tonight, and tomorrow brings our Beltane Festivities. Let us celebrate our Court Warlock alongside the fun!”

Cheers rang out, and Merlin had never felt more appreciated. He closed his eyes for a moment at the noise of the room, focusing on Arthur’s arm on his shoulders to ground him, and opened them back up—glowing pure gold.