Freedom

Summary: Arthur shares an idea with Merlin. Should magic become legal?
Luckily Arthur has already made a decision: yes!

_______________________________________

“I do think we should look at these laws. I think it's time for a change.” Arthur murmured more to himself than to someone else. But Merlin was cleaning the fireplace near Arthur’s desk so of course he heard.

“What law are you talking about?” Merlin asked. There were many after all.

Arthur went with the feather he was holding over his nose and hummed. “It just doesn’t seem to make too much sense. What do you think?”

“Maybe I could have an opinion if you would share what you are talking about.” Merlin stood up, cleaned his hands and grabbed the parchment because Arthur hadn’t answered. “What law?” He asked as he skimmed the parchment.

“Magic. I do believe it shouldn’t be banned. Maybe restricted, but banned just seems wrong.”

“Restricted how?” Merlin choked out as his eyes had stayed on the part of the law where it stated that all practitioners of witchcraft would be burned. The letters had faded over the years, but they were still there.

Arthur rolled the feather between both hands and looked at Merlin but his mind seemed somewhere else. “I just- I don’t know how to explain it to you.”

“Try me.”

“I don’t think magic is the problem. I think the power leads people to take dangerous paths which might be evil. The two might look similar, but they aren’t.”

Merlin kept looking at Arthur as he seemed to think.

“It’s just-” Arthur stayed silent for a while. “My father wasn’t the best ruler at times. A great warrior, not a great ruler.”

“What makes you say so?”

“Please Merlin, I know you thought the same. You still do.”

“Just tell me, please.”

Arthur stood up and sat on the edge of his bed. It was getting late and he got out of his boots as the first step to turn to bed. The conversation continued as he made himself busy. “I went to the lower town yesterday. I thought not much of it then but people crowded around me to talk to me, sell me stuff. And then there was this older lady who told me she was proud to tell family over the border that I was her King. Then other people started to crowd and they showered me with compliments. I make them feel safe.”

“So your ego was blown again. Good for me. How does that relate to the magic laws?” Merlin was careful not to get his hopes up. He had done that a couple of times in the past and every disappointment had left him distraught. He managed to keep up a non-interested facade, if he thought so himself.

“Keep up, Merlin. I make them feel safe. I do that. Not my father. We have not burned one sorcerer except those who tried to murder me first and people feel more safe. I don’t think magic is the problem. Perhaps it could even help us against curses that rot the land.”

“So what are you planning? Cendred kept sorcerers as slaves to cure the land if needed.” It made Merlin sick to his stomach to even lay out that idea but he had to make sure.