"He's Good For You."

Summary: 5 times Uther sees Merlin's magic and 1 time he is forced to confront it.

_______________________________________

I

The first time Uther discovered Merlin’s magic, it was quite by accident.

He had decided to pay the dragon under his castle a visit. Perhaps to gloat, or perhaps to simply have a mere chat. The castle was quite empty, with Arthur gone for another hunt and his bumbling servant at his heels.

The point was, that Uther was on his way to the lower dungeons and came across his guards snoring on the floor. He really ought to behead them all, considering how many of his enemies have escaped the dungeons. Or at the very least, flogged. It would be a very messy affair if he had to burn several heads.

He walked around them, his robes not so accidentally smacking them in their faces. That didn’t rouse them even a little. He lifted his nose a little in indignation, and towards the stair gates. There, he met with another surprise.

The gates were wide open.

He stifled a gasp. Nobody was allowed in this part of the castle. Even the guards, as stupid as they were, knew better than to venture that way. And yet, someone had managed to sneak past his defenses and reach his biggest enemy. He dreaded to think of all the consequences of this action. If his enemies did form a pact with the Dragon, all of Camelot would be in grave danger.

He unsheathed his sword, and climbed down the stairs slowly, one step at a time. As he reached close, a familiar sound reached his ears. He wasn’t close enough to hear what the traitor said, but the next thing he knew, a booming voice grated through the dungeons.

“Young Warlock, you have all the means you need in your grasp.”

Means? What means? Means to kill Uther and his only son? Or perhaps torture them and take over Camelot? But first, Uther decided, he needed to have some heart palpitations over the fact that the bloody Dragon could talk.

He crept closer, trying to figure out who the creature was talking to, and heard a well-known voice.

“You haven’t given me any answers, you stupid lizard!” Merlin screamed, for that was the voice of Arthur’s useless and incompetent servant. Uther could barely contain his rage. A sorcerer, right under his nose. He paled as a thought came to him. He had placed the vermin in Arthur’s service. He thought that being Gaius’s nephew would’ve been enough to think him a decent servant, but clearly he was wrong. The boy continued to scream curses at the Dragon. “I can’t let him die over something as stupid as this!”

So the boy practiced magic for someone he held close. Gaius himself, perhaps? Or his mother? Hadn’t she come to his court one day for help? Uther’s grip on his sword hardened when the creature replied.

“It is not his fate to die today, Merlin. I have given you all the answers you need.” Uther heard a loud flapping sound, indicating that the creature had taken to flying away to wherever he lied miserably in the cave. It should’ve been a relief, but all it did was arouse more suspicion. What was the sorcerer planning? What was the dragon planning?

He ought to run the boy through where he stood right then, but something stopped him in his tracks. If he executed the boy, Uther would have no idea about the plans of the dragon. The attack would throw him completely off guard.