Truth And I Are Never One

Summary: Set during s4e7, The Secret Sharer -- When Arthur refuses to believe Merlin about the truth of Gaius's absence, he feels he has no choice but to reveal the real reason Gaius was hiding something.

Basically, what might have happened if Merlin revealed his magic in this episode and Arthur went with him to rescue Gaius instead of Gwaine.

_______________________________________

The door shuts behind Agravaine, and the gentle thud echoes through the council chambers.

“How can you believe this?” Merlin says, more accusation than question. Arthur hesitates before answering, chin falling to his chest for a moment before he looks back up at his servant.

“I know how you must feel. We questioned him. He’s been consorting with sorcerers, he more or less admitted to it.” Merlin keeps his eyes fixated in front of him, refusing to look at Arthur.

“And that makes him a traitor?” Anger bubbles up into his throat, bleeding into his words.

“Why run if you have nothing to hide?” Arthur says.

“He’s given his life to this kingdom. He would never betray you.” Merlin knows his words to be true, he knows Gaius would never leave like this. His fists clench behind his back and he desperately tries to push back the tears welling in his eyes.

“Then explain his actions,” Arthur says, exasperated.

“All right,” Merlin finally looks at Arthur. “They’re lies. Gaius would never run off in the night.”

Arthur sighs and looks away.

“Look, I know it’s hard. No break-ins were reported. His possessions are missing. A horse has been stolen,” The hurt is almost as obvious in Arthur’s voice as it is in Merlin’s tear-filled eyes.

“He would not leave without saying goodbye to me.” Merlin says in a rush. He jerks his head to face away from Arthur as the tears begin to fall, not wanting him to see. Silence stretches between the two and Arthur sighs, a sound that makes Merlin want to shake him. Doesn’t he see? Why can’t he see?

“Agravaine has made this story up.” Merlin says then, hoping, praying that Arthur will believe him for once.

“I shall ignore that last comment.” Of course he doesn’t. He never believes him.

“Because he’s your uncle you will not see who he really is--”

“Merlin!” Arthur shouts, and the sound echoes, ringing in Merlin’s ears. “I’ve had my heart broken enough already today. I don’t want to lose another friend.”

Merlin says nothing, eyes fixed on the stone wall across from him. Arthur pushes his chair back and gets to his feet, walking with purpose towards him and brandishing one of the damning books.

“Gaius condemned himself,” He slams the book back onto the table. “There’s no more to be said.”

Arthur makes to leave, but something wells up inside Merlin, some impulsive, desperate need for Arthur to just listen to him.