The Complexities Of Knowing

Summary: Arthur found out Merlin has magic. Now he has to deal with it.

_______________________________________

"Merlin has magic." Perhaps Arthur didn't come off as calm and nonchalant as he tried to, if the way the man in front of him paled drastically was any indication.

"Sire, I—"

"Don't play dumb, Gaius, I know you know," Arthur sighed, before his shoulders drooped and he ran his hands through his hair, a defeated and tired look on his face.

"Please," he whispered, his voice wavering against his wishes, "please, Gaius, just... I need—I need you to tell me that I really do know, Merlin... That...That his magic doesn't change who he is... Please tell me I still know my dearest friend."

He must've looked really pathetic, here, a Prince, begging like a fool, admitting his closest friend a servant...

He looked back to Gaius to see his expression soften significantly at the Prince's desperation. 

“He’s still the same Merlin you know and love, Arthur,” the old man assured him gently, “his magic doesn’t change who he is—it just opens up a new part of him for you to learn about.”

Arthur’s eyes widened just slightly, his face suddenly feeling a bit hot. “I-I don’t—”

“Arthur, I’m old, not blind,” Gaius interrupted him, sounding rather exasperated that he had to actually say it.

The Prince let out strangled noise, sure he was rather crimson. “Th-that’s not the point, okay! Can we just…Stay on topic?”

Gaius let out a small chuckle and nodded, before his face fell, serious again.

“Sire, I assure you,” he kept his voice calm, “Merlin is still Merlin. You’ve just…Discovered a new part of him. That doesn’t change what you know about him, I promise you. Now, you’re just learning he’s got more depth than you thought. Everything you know about who he is, is still true. He is a clumsy fool, but he’s got a kind and pure heart, and he cares more for you than it’s my place to say. I implore you not let this discovery ruin all you have with him, your bond is…Unlike any other. Some may say it’s written in destiny.”  

Arthur nodded slowly, processing.

Destiny, huh?

Perhaps Gaius is right… He shouldn’t make any rash decisions… Arthur pulled his bottom lip between his teeth. Merlin was still the same Merlin he’d always known. A little magic didn’t change that! Right? …Right? Sure, it kind of [read: really] hurt, and he felt a little [read: a lot] betrayed and untrusted… But, well, Merlin had a good reason not to tell him, after all… Though, that didn’t mean it hurt any less. He couldn’t help how he felt, even if he understood why Merlin may feel he couldn’t tell him!

“Arthur,” Gaius sighed, pulling him from his thoughts, “he… Merlin will tell you when he’s ready. All I can ask is you don’t push him.”

“No, no I don’t plan on it,” the Prince shook his head, “I need to think about things, and I… I don’t want to overwhelm him by springing it on him I know. Can I trust you not to tell him, Gaius?”