Relief

SMUT

Summary: There’s only one company left in Arthur's way as he builds Albion Entertainment’s Magitech Empire — but behind Emrys Incorporated sits a figure that is key to Arthur's painful past as well as a hope for his future.

_______________________________________

Arthur has worked years for this — the final merger that will be the crown jewel in Albion Entertainment’s Magitech Empire.

He’s purposefully saved Emrys Incorporated as the last on a long list of company takeovers. It’s a small company, but a giant in the magic and technology industries.

Unable to face Merlin until now, he’s left this meeting for longer than intended. Morgana’s insistence that his reluctance only makes him a coward still echoes in Arthur’s mind, and it pains him to realize she’s not wrong.

In some ways he has to admit that he’s looked forward to this moment — happy to see Merlin again — yet he’s regretful as he stands before him under the current circumstances.

Looking through the floor-to-ceiling glass windows of the office, Arthur catches the first glimpse of Merlin in person after so long as he leans back in his large, leather chair to watch Arthur approach.

Arthur meets his gaze as he pulls the glass door open. Merlin looks relaxed — completely unconcerned that their legal teams are currently in the boardroom directly below them finalizing the papers for the company buyout.

“Arthur,” Merlin says, nodding in acknowledgement as Arthur comes to stand in front of his mahogany desk. “I’m surprised you decided to handle this personally. From what I understand, that’s not how you usually do things.”

“I thought this required a more personal touch.”

“Naturally,” Merlin says pleasantly, as though the fate of his company isn’t in jeopardy. “I suppose I should be honoured that you found the time in your busy schedule to come and see me. So many companies to acquire, so little time.”

“I’m not here to fight,” Arthur tries.

“No,” Merlin grants. “You’re here to buy my company.”

“It’s already done. We both know that Emrys Inc. is no match for Albion.”

“And what? Do you expect me to beg?”

“Come work for me,” Arthur says, trying and failing to keep the longing out of his voice. “You don’t have the shares to stop this from happening. If you come to Albion I’ll make you VP over the Magic Arts Multimedia Department.”

“Funny,” Merlin snorts as he rises from his chair and moves around to lean against the front of the desk. “I could have sworn we’ve tried that before.”

“It’s different now.” Arthur swallows, remembering the circumstances and the regret all too vividly. “My father is gone.”

Merlin tilts his head slightly, eyes boring into Arthur’s.

“Come back to Albion,” he implores. “I need you, Merlin.” He hates the emotion so obvious in his voice, but finds himself unable to control it. “I promise things will be better now that I’m CEO.”