So You Know I Care

Summary: Arthur feels bad that Merlin is always kept busy and restricted to his duties in Camelot and decides they both deserve a day off.

_______________________________________

The air was crisp with the first signs of spring and Arthur pulled the bedding tighter around his shoulders. Beside him, Merlin rolled over and draped a hand over his eyes.

“Is it time to get up?” He mumbled begrudgingly. Arthur frowned at Merlins pained expression. It was past the time they should have started getting ready but Arthur didn’t much feel like being king today.

“Not yet.” He said reaching out to pull Merlin against him. “It’s still pretty early.” Satisfied with Arthur’s answer, Merlin nodded and rolled gratefully into his embrace. Arthur closed his eyes again but found it impossible to get back to sleep. Letting out an irritated huff he settled for simply enjoying Merlins warm presence in his arms. He was surprised Leon hadn’t come to find him yet as he was probably late for his council meeting. 

Merlin’s peaceful snoring got Arthur’s mind wandering. Imagining if they weren’t part of the royal household. What if they could escape even just for a day? And Arthur came up with a plan. 

Merlin stirred an hour later and groggily leant back against Arthur’s chest with a small sigh. “Sleep well?” Arthur asked softly. 

“I always do in your bed,” Merlin replied as a small smile flickered on his lips.

“Mmm, it’s almost like it’s fit for a king.” Arthur joked causing Merlin to roll his eyes. 

“Fit for a prat more like,” Merlin mumbled fondly as he buried his face in the pillows. Arthur caressed his shoulder gently with his thumb and admired Merlins sleepy expression. 

“Hey, Merlin?” Arthur finally murmured into Merlin’s neck.

“Hmm.” Merlin hummed as he snuggled back against Arthur’s chest. 

“I wish I could give you a better life. Somewhere we could be freer.”

“Arthur no. I love you and I will stay by your side forever. Camelot is where we belong.”

“I know but we have so many duties that keep us apart. What I would do for a holiday-“

“I know what you mean but that’s why I cherish these moments so much.” Merlin turned to face Arthur in his arms. There was a sudden knock at the door and Arthur called sleepily for whoever it was. 

“Are you okay Sire? You’re going to miss the council meeting.” Leon asked as he stepped into the room. 

“We’re having a day off. I trust you will cope a day without me.” Arthur said as he pushed himself into a sitting position (against Merlins protests) and swung his legs over the side of the bed. “Ready two horses for me and Merlin and expect return sometime tomorrow.” Leon looked slightly confused for a second but nodded respectfully and hurried away quickly. 

“Pack a change of clothes Merlin,” Arthur said as he jumped up. Merlin furrowed his brow in a mix of confusion and suspicion. Arthur opened the wardrobe and pulled out several items including some for Merlin now that their wardrobes had begun to fuse. He threw it all into a satchel and dumped it onto the bed beside Merlin.