Office Shenanigans

MODERN DAY AU

Summary: Merlin attempts to dodge the advances of his boss' son.

_______________________________________

It had been a year since Merlin had been coaxed to the small study in the Pendragon mansion by Arthur, his boss’ reputably prodigal son. It had been a company party, just like this one, given by the owner and CEO of Pendragon Industries, Uther Pendragon, for whom Merlin acted as personal assistant.

Arthur had locked lustful eyes on Merlin halfway through the evening and, after both had consumed two or three glasses of some of the finest wine in the Pendragon cellar, Arthur had grabbed Merlin by the hand amidst the unwatchful and inattentive eyes of the guests, including the party’s host, and had led him into a study in the east wing of the mansion. Arthur then had set about defiling Merlin by kissing him senseless and feeling up his yearning body.

It wasn’t the first time Merlin had come in contact with his boss’ son. Arthur Pendragon had occasionally dropped by his father’s offices, each time unabashedly flirting with just about everyone, including Merlin. But, this had been the first time Merlin had ever felt Arthur’s mouth and hands on him outside of his own fantasies.

The encounter had left Merlin breathless as well as confused. Arthur Pendragon had a reputation as a “playboy” who appeared to lean his playboy tendencies toward women. Merlin was not aware of any affairs, rumored or otherwise, engaged in by the young Pendragon that involved men, despite Arthur’s constant flirting.

Merlin had suspected that Arthur didn’t usually make a habit of snogging and groping men, which was confirmed when Arthur, after having completely wrecked Merlin in the study, had looked him in the eyes and had told him, “This can’t happen again. My father would not understand.” Arthur had then retreated from the study, leaving Merlin even more wrecked than before.

After this, Arthur had rarely come into the Pendragon Offices, his father having assigned him to act as an international liaison for the company, in an effort to foster more responsibility in his son. The two or three times Arthur had visited the suite of offices in the past year, Merlin had noticed he carefully avoided any prolonged contact with Merlin, keeping his manner quite professional, distant. There certainly had been no flirting.

And now Merlin found himself at the company party at the Pendragon mansion once again, sipping wine, both hoping Arthur would not be attending and wishing to see him again.

His wish rather than his hope came true.

Arthur arrived, fashionably late, escorting a beautiful, buxom blonde Merlin had never seen before. And while there was no reason for him to be jealous – Arthur was not and could never be ‘his’ – Merlin found himself throwing mental daggers at the beautiful woman by Arthur’s side.

From across the room, Merlin surreptitiously watched Arthur (and the vixen) as he greeted his father and a few of the guests. He tried his best to blend into the rich wallpaper of the great room, hoping to remain inconspicuous in order to avoid an awkward encounter.

Feeling relatively comfortable that he was managing to stay out of Arthur’s sight, Merlin sipped his wine and sighed with relief.

“Hello, Merlin,” Arthur said, suddenly at his side.

Merlin nearly dropped his wine glass. “Arthur,” he coughed out, feeling the heat spread through his cheeks. “I thought you were still out of the country.” Totally lame, but what else could he say?