It's Possible (For A Plain Country Bumpkin And A Prince To Join In Marriage)

Summary: “You’re an idiot” Arthur said with a grin as he put some space between them so he could spin Merlin, who only laughed in delight.

“But you love me” Merlin shot back as the Crown Prince held him close once again, pressing their foreheads together.

OR

Merlin becomes his own fairy godfather to go to a ball he’s been forbidden to attend

_______________________________________

“I’m sorry, Uther stated in his will that you had to do what to become King?” Merlin asked in a low voice, feeling fury begin to take over him while Arthur let out a heavy sigh behind his hands.

“I have to get married in order to take the throne” the blond repeated with a defeated tone, looking more tired than ever. Merlin’s heart ached for him, “There’s no use in arguing with the council, Father made sure for that to be his last wish and if by the end of a fortnight there’s not a spouse by my side, I cannot become King”

Merlin had always thought that when Uther died, everyone in Camelot would be able to breathe a little more easily and life would be a little less complicated.

So of course, the fucker made sure to leave out one last plan to make Arthur’s life miserable before kicking the bucket.

“So… what will you do?” the warlock asked, dread filling his stomach at his dear friend’s miserable look.

“I have to get married to someone of noble blood, Merlin” Arthur whispered, eyes bright with tears that he would refuse to acknowledge, “There’s no loophole in the rules”

Now Merlin did feel his heart truly break.

Lately, he and the Crown Prince had been dancing around each other, the line of friendship and something more almost invisible ever since they were hiding from the Le Fey sisters when they took over Camelot.

And when Uther died, their moments together had been intimate enough for Merlin to hope-

But then Arthur had been called to the emergency council meeting shortly after the King’s funeral, and now this was on the way.

He blinked away the tears that threatened to spill.

“Well” Merlin whispered, hoping that his voice to not break, “You’ll have me by your side when the time comes”

Arthur let out a wounded sound.

“I don’t want to do this, Merlin” the blond said, burring his head onto his arms. Merlin still caught sight of the tear that fell from his eye.

“I know” he murmured, placing his hand on Arthur’s shoulder.

They stayed silent for a moment, the Prince hiding his face as he quietly lost his composure, and the warlock stared at the flames in the fireplace, feeling empty.

“You’ll really stay beside me?” Arthur asked, breaking the silence as he turned his head to peer at the raven.

His eyes were red-rimmed.