Little Ones

Summary: when two children who look weirdly similar to Merlin and Arthur appear in the prince's chambers, they have to find out where they came from. In which secrets get revealed, families founded and chaos ensues!

ART IS NOT MINE, THERE WILL BE CREDITS AT THE END ❤
_______________________________________

Merlin was late.

Which, asking the rest of the castle staff, was nothing particularly unusual. Merlin was known for many reasons among the castle (primarily for always being there to help out and for being the one who always stole Cook's strawberry cakes), but punctuality was not on the list. Neither was knocking, and so he just entered the prince's chambers with a loud bang and a cheerful “Good morning, Sire”.

Arthur was still lying in his bed, pretending to be sleeping. But one of his feet was sticking from underneath the blanket, something that Arthur only did when he was awake. His toes were twitching.

"Happy Flower day," Merlin announced enthusiastically as he opened the curtains, letting the spring sun shine in.

Flower day was a tradition from Ealdor. It had started when Merlin was still young, finding something new and exciting every day. On that day it had been the first daffodil opening its blossoms. He and his mother had cooked a big dinner and danced in their small garden, a tradition they had kept over the years. When Merlin came to Camelot he was not ready to give up this part of Ealdor and so he kept on celebrating the, what Arthur called ridiculous made-up, holiday, despite annual teasing on the prince’s part.

Arthur groaned and when he spoke up some seconds later, his voice was still laced with sleep. "Would you take a look at the table for me, Merlin?"

Slightly confused - he had expected something sarcastic, like how much of a child Merlin still was - Merlin stepped to the table, only to find a huge bouquet of yellow daffodils there.

"They are for you." Arthur mumbled into his pillows but Merlin could hear the smile in the prince's words. He gaped at the flowers.

"You remembered."

Arthur scoffed. "It was hard to miss, yesterday, when you saw the yellow flower in the forest and looked like you had just seen another unicorn. And so is you, shouting ‘happy flower day’ in my ears every single year."

Merlin was once again amazed by how Arthur could make every nice thing he said sound like an insult. Though, this time he didn't really care. He let a finger slide over one of the yellow blossoms and then turned around.

"Thank-"

The rest of the sentence was stuck in his throat. Because Arthur was not alone in his bed. At the far side of the mattress there was a blond tuft of hair sticking out from the blankets. A feeling that felt very much like jealousy threatened to overcome him, but it quickly turned into something like confusion.

Because firstly, he was pretty sure that when he had left last night, Arthur had been half asleep already, alone, and secondly, the lump in Arthur’s bed was too small to be a grown woman. Or man.

"Arthur," Merlin began slowly, "Why is there a child in your bed?"

Arthur, still looking positively dishevelled, finally opened his eyes and furrowed his brow. "I don't-" he turned and his expression shifted from confusion to shock within seconds. He shot up and scrambled out of his bed, grabbing his sword in the process.