I Keep You Safe, Prat

Summary: After one too many nightly assassination attempts to Arthur's life, Merlin decides the best way to protect his prince is sleeping in his bed.

_______________________________________

Merlin was peacefully sleeping when he felt it. There was a dark presence somewhere in the castle probably trying to murder Arthur.

Merlin groaned in frustration. This was the the fourth time in the last six days and Merlin desperately wanted to sleep. Unfortunately there was a dragon who reminded Merlin constantly how important it is to keep the young prince safe so reluctantly Merlin got up and made his way to Arthur's chambers.

After a couple of minutes he arrived but he took his time to yawn once again before he opened the door.

It was getting quite annoying really. They didn't even come up with anything special anymore. So just like usual there was an old woman holding a dagger over the prince's heart ready to kill him.

Merlin, of course, couldn't let that happen so he held up his hand and muttered a quick spell which resulted in the dagger to disappear.

The woman was shocked and looked up. When she spotted Merlin her fear grew sensing she couldn't win against Emrys. She was ready to run but Merlin wouldn't let her go that easy.

He stretched his hand out again and with a quick spell the woman was turned into a mouse.

Merlin yawned again and quickly made his way over to Arthur's bed to check if he was alright.

The prince looked fine. Just like the bed did. Really comfortable. And Merlin was very tired. He didn't know what came over him but suddenly his boots were gone he was nestled between the sheets next to Arthur.

******

When Arthur began to stir awake it was still dawn and a bit dark. There was no need to wake up just yet to face the early morning cold of autumn. But he noted pleasantly that he was quite warm which meant Merlin brought him an extra blanket or he was cuddling his special cuddle-pillow. Given the fact he held something in his arms he went for the latter.

When he squeezed his pillow tight and pulled it nearer he frowned. There was something wrong. His pillow is more fluffy and softer. This was rough and...bony? But he had to admit it was warm so he didn't worry and slumbered on.

What seemed to be a few minutes later Arthur was fully awoken by stabs to his stomach.

"Arthur, wake up. You're squeezing me." He distantly heard Merlin urging him to wake up but actually he really didn't want to. Unfortunately the stabbing didn't end so he squinted his eyes to adjust to the light and slowly opened his eyes.

He was met with a tuft of raven hair all over his face.
He lifted his head to take in his surroundings. He was in his chambers, in his bed, snuggling with Merlin. Everything was fi-

Wait what? Snuggling with Merlin?

And sure enough when he looked down there was his manservant with his head against Arthur's chest trying to look up, which looked totally ridiculous and had no business being so adorable. Arthur wouldn't dwell on that thought now. There were more important questions.