For You

Summary: Merlin is about to be dragged on yet another hunt for a sorcerer. He doesn't know how much longer he can stomach it, so he decides to talk to Arthur about Camelot's anti-magic laws. Two roads diverge in a wood.

_______________________________________

Once again, Merlin was having to listen to Uther order the hunting and execution of yet another sorcerer. The crime? Using enchantments to enter Camelot’s grain stores and redistribute them in the lower town - a place where people often went hungry. As he stood in the throne room, listening to Uther’s declaration of ‘Camelot’s fight against the evil of magic’, Merlin had to focus hard on not rolling his eyes. He knew, if anyone looked too closely at him, they would notice the tension causing his shoulders to bunch up slightly. Luckily, no one was interested enough in a serving boy to pay him much attention at all.

“We must remain vigilant in our efforts, and bring justice to any sorcerer who dares to use magic inside Camelot’s walls,” Uther’s voice boomed around the large hall.

Yeah, thought Merlin, his jaw set tight, And how long do you think your precious son would last if I didn’t dare?

Arthur stood to the right of his father, head bowed in what appeared to be solemn agreement. The urge to roll his eyes hit Merlin even harder. He expected this sort of drivel from Uther - he was so set in his beliefs, his fear, that Merlin didn’t expect him to change any time soon. But Arthur? I mean, it didn’t take a genius to see that Uther’s ways were tyrannical. It wasn’t as if this sorcerer was using magic to do harm - they were using it to feed the hungry. Something that wouldn’t have had to be done if Uther had managed the kingdom’s resources more effectively. And ordering an execution because someone had stolen a few bags of grain? Merlin knew that the punishment wouldn’t have been nearly as severe if they were stolen without magic. No, it was purely the fact that someone had used magic within the kingdom. In Uther’s mind, this meant that they deserved to die. In fairness, Merlin believed that most people could see the delusion of Uther’s beliefs. They just didn’t dare to speak up due to their lack of status - and the fear of being on the receiving end of his wrath themselves. But Arthur?

This was what Merlin didn’t understand. Merlin had seen Arthur stand up, talk back, to his father time and time again. Over things far less consequential than this. He had seen Arthur question concepts and values that he had been raised with and challenge Uther on them. So, why not this? Had Uther caused this particular belief to be so deep seated that there was no arguing with it? Or was Arthur also too afraid to argue back over this one issue that Uther seemed adamant to not be swayed from? Merlin wasn’t sure. He could only hope that it was the latter, he supposed, because if Arthur had truly been conditioned to believe that all magic was evil Merlin didn’t see how he was supposed to help Arthur create this fair and just kingdom of Albion like he was meant to. Or like the Great Dragon said he was meant to. There were times when Merlin wondered whether he was having him on, spinning him a line. He hoped not because, against all the odds, he had ended up rather liking Arthur. Liking him quite a lot, in fact.

It was the mention of Arthur’s name that brought Merlin out of his thoughts.

“My son, Prince Arthur, will lead the search for this sorcerer and bring them back to Camelot, where they will receive their punishment.”

Merlin glanced at Gaius out of the corner of his eye. Gaius sent him a grim look back.

Great. If Arthur was going, that meant Merlin would be going too.