Letters of Love

Dear Darlo,

Dear Darlo,

I know this is more than you bargained. Maybe if I asked for help, circumstances would be different, maybe not. However, I feel there is no need for an explanation. Here is the one and only I will provide.

I was being hunted, and you would be caught in the crossfire. Leaving was the better alternative than saying goodbye. One of the things I vowed never to do is say goodbye to you. No matter if it's my last breath or yours, it wouldn't be an option. So keeping to that, this isn't a goodbye, more of a letter of emotions, some that I couldn't put into words. But here it goes loving you is painful, but it was worth it. I'm not going to a something cliche like "I'll love you in the next life." This one was enough for hundreds of lifetimes. I didn't leave you out of disdain; I left you out of fear, just thought I needed to make that clear.

I needed to protect all of you till the end, and I did. Because the only reason you have this letter is that I'm dead. If you spiral, I would never forgive you, and you wouldn't want that. Although you can hate me, hate me till the point, it consumes you till it leaves a bitter taste on your tongue.

I hope you killed my brother, and writing that down only made me realize how more fucked up this situation is. Rose, I met her some months ago. She is painfully stubborn and has an unflinching curiosity. I hope it doesn't bit her in the ass. God knows it always does.

In case I haven't said it, yet I love you, and I never took off my ring. It's probably on my corpse. I feel like it's too soon to use the word corpse my bad.

Your love was not gentle, inconsistent, or out of this world. It was rough, constant, and dark enough to drown out the sun. And that is all I ever wanted. You are all I ever wanted and all I ever needed. Also, tell my future replacement that I will forever be better than her. Yes, I can be petty even in the afterlife.

Keep our kids loved, warm, and in check, because having disrespectful kids is unacceptable. (Do you like my stern mother demo?)

Darlo, you did well without me. I always knew you would.

- Josephine

The prickling of wood under his fingertips and the distant clang of dishes in the kitchen were all that was heard in the house. Darlo was looking down at the letter, not bothering to wipe his tears. She's gone. She's gone. She's gone. They are both gone.

His shoulders were tensed, his eyelids were heavy, but they went against themselves and refused to close. Nothing is right. Today is the funeral for her. For both of them. His suit was tailored to perfection, the only thing he could obsess over for the past twenty-four hours. If he looked good enough to attend his only loves funeral. To feel his heart of ice be chipped away piece by piece. The strength it would take to hold yourself together on a day like this is hard to gather. It's like grasping at straws.