ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟛

6:00 PM Monday

6:00 PM Monday

I am sitting in my office with many hours of work ahead of me. I have a headache forming and need something to drink. Being the boss is not all it is made up to be, but I wouldn't do anything else. Deciding to take a break, I turn in my chair to the window in my office. I can see all of New York here just how I like it. I was enjoying the view when there was a knock at my door.

"Come in," I said coldly. My secretary comes in with the phone. Instantly a smile lights up my face since she did come in with cookies that her wife made this morning. She's an absolute sweetheart.

"A police department in Georgia has requested you on the phone," she said, handing me the phone. Looking at the caller ID, I answer the phone.

"Hello," I said, trying to keep this conversation short.

"Hello, is this Darlo Giardano?" a man said through the phone.

"Yes, this is him," getting bored already.

"We have a lead on a missing person report you filed with the police for your daughter." He said, sounding slightly nervous.

"Go on," I said, wanting him to disappoint me again.

"Well, a Rose Giordano has recently had her foster parent commit suicide in the house. Rose is 16 years old with green eyes, tan skin, and dark, almost black-brown hair. The police are currently at her house waiting for her to come back from school, although she is a bit late. We were wondering if you would want to do a DNA test?" He said more assertively this time. Am I that intimidating through the phone. I guess I'm not the friendliest.

I sit there thinking about the possibility of finally having my daughter back, if it even is her. I need to decide if I am going to hurt myself again if this isn't her. But what if it is? You know what fuck it, what's the worst that could happen.

"When do you need me down there?" I said, keeping my calm demeanor, so the mafia boss doesn't sound like an excited teenager.

"As soon as you can get here, and we will give you updates on her whereabouts." said the man on the phone.

"I will be there in 4 hours." I hung up and took several deep breaths because my heart was racing. Scrolling through my contacts, I call my eldest son Gavino in the building down the hall.

"Hey, Dad," he said in a monotone voice. Sometimes he can come off as bland or tasteless, but he's far from that, just not a very interactive person.

"Hey, Gavino, can you come to my office? We have something to discuss," I said, trying to think of a way to explain the situation to him. Being the oldest and the one who understood that he was going to have a sister, Gavino was probably disappointed the most about everything he missed out on.

"Okay, I am on my way."

6:20 PM

There were three knocks on the door. I came out of my dazed state and answered.