Loyalties

Heels clicked on the marble floor, pin-drop silence beside the rising anticipation and rhythm of footsteps

Heels clicked on the marble floor, pin-drop silence beside the rising anticipation and rhythm of footsteps. Nerves bit at everyone in the room because no one knew what to expect. From what everyone knew their Donna had died, and the heiress along with her. So when the next chain of command called a meeting and didn't declare her leadership immediately made everyone on edge.

Everyone in the room had something unique about them; no one was the same. It was a family, but they all knew what they signed up for. After having an undisclosed Donna for so many years, they were itching for a leader, the true leader.

The knob of the door twisted and was pushed open. There was no denying who stood in front of them. If you couldn't identify the similar features or the ring set on her finger, then you were a fool. Green eyes stared back at everyone in the room. No one had met her, yet not even the right hand who was stiff in her chair.

"Hello, my name is Rose," She said casually. No one knew what to expect, especially Rose, who looked at everyone in front of her. She was briefed on the plane with some information she gathered and was found in her email a couple of days ago.

She knew every person in this room, knew their names, and how to pronounce them. Their specialties and who to look at to get a job done. They knew their family or lack thereof. She wasn't going to walk into a room with hidden snakes, and it would be an inconvenience to deal with more people.

A seat was reserved at the end of the table that no one dared to touch. It was a hopeful gesture that someone who deserved it would sit there. But being left clueless was nothing anyone enjoyed. Rose walked towards the end of the table and sat down in the chair, obtaining a certain level of grace that was unachievable.

This was far away from the light-hearted Rose, who would sit at family dinner, who would have graduated yesterday. No, she wasn't herself at this moment. She was still Rose, but not in that way. Only the inner circle was here, the best of the best. Everyone else that was not under her rule was out doing their jobs.

They would learn soon enough that a new change was about to happen. She was at one of the main bases in the United Kingdom. It was a place of convenience and had enough security to make sure her presence was insider information. "Thank you all for being here. As you all might know, my mother is dead, for real this time," The last part was said underneath her breath while everyone bristled at the news.

When everyone started looking towards each other, she directed the attention back to her. "I know all of you, but none of you know me," after taking a deep breath, she continued. "At this moment, my family thinks I am dead. They are mourning, and I can't let them do that for too long so that this meeting will be short. I don't tolerate secrets, I don't tolerate traitors, and I don't tolerate disrespect. By not tolerate, I mean a bullet will be sent your way,"

Everyone nodded their head in agreement. Respect was kindling in their hearts, slowly as she said her following words. "If you are loyal, then you are considered family, and there is nothing I wouldn't do for you. After everything is taken care of with my supposed death, I will be back to take care of some things. Also, if there is anything that needs to be brought to my attention, immediately tell me now,"

"Some people are restless being without a Donna for so long. Announcing that you are the heiress and the next Donna when you come back would be good," The right hand said who sat next to Rose.

Kennedy was her name. She wasn't born into the mafia. She was raised in an orphanage that Rose's mother bought and had people take care of the kids correctly. After finding out that a particular teenager was dealing with some bad people, she brought her in. Everyone in this room taught her everything they knew and sharpened up some skills that she already possessed.

Some of them, or their parents helped. Because most of these people in the room were either legacy or picked specifically.

After Rose's mother came back, she appointed her as the right hand for the next leader. There wasn't any competition, and after Rose saw the long lists of skills she possessed, she would have chosen her too.

Rose nodded her head in understanding towards Kennedy. "I need a moment alone with Kennedy. All of you may leave, but speak nothing of this meeting to anyone," Rose commanded while everyone swiftly followed her directions. No one wanted to be the first person to fuck up with their new boss.

Kennedy sat in her seat and inclined her head towards Rose, observing her. They were both beautiful women that it seemed unfair. Kennedy's curly cair was splayed over her shoulders, and her figure was unbeatable. But what got Rose's attention were her eyes. They were deep brown and were sharp and watchful.

A sinister smile curved Rose's lips, and she knew they were going to be best friends even if she had to force it on her. She wasn't usually one for relationships with people, but she was too good to be true. "Since you know my name, I guess that's a good sign," Kennedy mumbled underneath her breath.

Then it donned on Rose. Kennedy thought she would replace her, looking at her body language. It was almost obvious she was closed off and preparing for rejection. "Holy fuck wait, you still have your job. I might look unwelcoming, but fuck, you are intimidating," Rose said, not ashamed to admit that.

Kennedy's eyes widened hearing the seemingly obvious statement from Rose. She knew that Rose's mother hired her because she thought Kennedy was a good fit, but that might not have been the same for her daughter.

"I've seen your skillset, the successful missions you've pulled off, and how good you work with others. There's no reason not to have you working with me," Kennedy caught how she emphasized with, and it made her muscles un-tense at her certainty. "You earned the place you have, so be confident in it and let me earn your trust slowly," Rose said smiling.

Kennedy and Rose got along well. They went out to lunch together, their attire expensive and the menu unbelievable. They got to know each other and left the business for another day. Rose touched down two days ago, so now she needs to go tonight and clear everything up.

When they parted ways with exchanged phone numbers, and plans for the future, Rose headed back to her hotel. She ordered a car service with everything ready and was driven to the runway where the jet is.

When she sat down, Rose felt her heart sink, they were in the air, and it was just her. She missed everyone she hadn't seen for a month. Having to heal from the gunshot and deal with everything made time seem like it was slipping through her fingers.

She missed Lucifer, his presence, him holding her, his fucking cookies. She missed everything and hoped disappearing didn't fuck any of that up. What was she going to tell her brothers? Her Dad was the first person she needed to catch up with. Catch him somewhere private and hope he doesn't hate her.

Right now, it's a waiting game, and she hates it.