~Chapter 12~

I was standing near the entrance of the castle, greeting the nobles people and creatures form far and wide as they entered for Peter's birthday.

I wondered where the king had gotten himself again. People from everywhere came to wish the High King happy birthday and the High King was no where to be found.

King Lune from Archenland with his wife and young son, Corin. The emperor of Calormen with his son Rabadash. And I knew from the moment I saw him the man walking with my father was from Telmar.

"Ah, there you are." He said as he approached with the dark haired, tan, scruffy looking man. If I didn't know who he was someone might have mistaken him for a simple sailor.

"Durlan... My daughter Vyla." My father said introducing the man.

"Lord Durlan, I wasn't expecting you to make it." I said dipping into a slight curtsy.

"Please, don't curtsy. I'm not like most rulers, I'm not into formalities. And I wasn't expecting to come knowing the Calormen Emperor is here... But when I heard that Covan was now a knight living in Cair Paravel, I had to see with my own two eyes." He said, his voice was deep and rough from probably years of smoking.

"I'm glad you came... I had to see that my childhood best friend was the leader of a small country now." My dad slapped him on the back.

"So, where's your wife Covan, cause your daughter doesn't have the Telmarine looks." Lord Durlan chuckled.

"Theabryn died a few years back... My son Luc looked just like me though."

"Minus the eyes." I clarified.

"Minus the eyes... We lost him in the Battle of Beruna two years back."

"I'm, sorry to hear that..." I could tell Lord Durlan was genuinely sorry for our loss.

"We're not here to reminisce on the past... He died defending this place, our Kings and Queens. And that's why we're here today... To celebrate High King Peter's birthday." My dad smiled.

I nodded once, excusing myself to find the elusive High King.

I walked through people of many shapes and sizes. Human and not human alike.

I found Peter on one of the many balconies, looking at the people coming into the castle. On the ledge next to him, was his crown.

"Isn't this a little extravagant... We could have a war on our hands if the wrong people mix." He said not looking at me.

I stood next to him and looked out.

"Trust me, I checked to make sure treaties were good before inviting certain people." I mumbled. "We're common ground." I could still see the doubt crossing his face. I reached over and placed my hand on his, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Now." I turned him to look at me. "You have a crowd of people who are waiting to see their High King." I picked up his crown. "You don't want to disappoint them." I smiled placing it on his head.

I kissed him on the cheek before leaving him, walking down to the throne room where his siblings were among the people, their crowns adorned on their heads, talking.

There was a fanfare of trumpets as one of the fauns walked to the center.

"I present the High King, Peter the Magnificent!" He said and there was applause. A few short moments later Peter walked through the people. He caught my eye and smiled as he addressed the people.

"I want to thank you all for coming today... I tried to tell some people that eighteen wasn't that important... they disagreed." He smiled glancing at me. "But-"

"My king." Everyone's heads turned towards the older man who stepped in front of Peter. He was dressed in fine robes. He was short and had a beard down to his knees.

"My Emperor of the Lone Islands. My name is Governor Maxinan from the lone island of Doorn..."

I looked at Susan, Edmund, and Lucy across the way and they looked just as confused.

"It has come to the attention to me and my fellow council men from the lone islands that as you are now eighteen, you must marry a girl of nobility... Since you have not chosen anyone, the members of your council can either choose a girl or present one of their daughters... And so. I have brought my daughter, Oramythh." He reached into one of the groupings of people and pulled a girl from it. She was much taller than him, same light brown hair and brown eyes too.

"Did you know about this?" I asked the faun standing next to me.

He just shook his head.

I couldn't let this happen. I stepped near Peter and addressed the Governor.

"You know this is highly inappropriate. The king had you invited here and you bombard him with this. And you didn't even run it by his advisors."

"Who are you girl." He asked looking me up and down.

"My name is Lady Vyla Dennor and I am the personal advisor to the kings and queens of Narnia." I said taking a step towards him.

"But." He snapped his fingers and one of his, I assumed servants, walked over with a scroll, and handed it to him. "The law that was made all the way back with King Gale in 320 states, that when the high king turns eighteen, if he is not married or engaged the members of the council of the Lone Islands are permitted to bring it to his attention and propose marriage of someone of their choosing."

I took a step forward till I was almost in his face.

"If you, kind sir." I was angry now. "Would like to meet me, and the kings and queens in our council room we will be more than happy to discuss this like civilized people, not in front of the King's guests on this day of celebration."

I turned on my heel, my hair swishing in his face behind me as I did so and walked away.

I found my father standing with Lord Durlan.

"Maybe she is a Telmarine." I heard Durlan say as I passed them.