~Chapter 13~

After the party was over I was standing in the council room with Peter, who looked terrified, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.

"You swear you didn't know?" Susan asked.

"I swear on Aslan's life I didn't. I thought I studied every bit of the laws and decrees put in place since King Frank the first." I said. I was the only one standing, pacing anxiously.

"I don't want to get married... Especially not to her." Peter said.

"I know. And I will do anything to get you out of this." I said, trying to reassure him.

There was a soft knock on the door as my father and Lord Durlan entered.

"Lord Durlan, King Peter, King Edmund, Queen Susan, and Queen Lucy." I said making a brief introduction. "I asked him to be here... Telmar is a grey area. It'll be helpful if we have them on our side."

"Any friend of Covan and the Dennor family, is a friend of mine and of Telmar." He said calmly as he and my father took their seats around the large table.

I was still pacing until Peter softly said, "Vy." I looked at him and he looked worried and I knew I wasn't helping. So, I stopped and sat in the empty chair next to his.

Then there was a knock on the door and without anyone saying enter, Governor Maxinan walked in with his daughter.

I stood, and so did Peter.

"Governor Maxinan. Please sit down..." I said.

He nodded and took a seat towards the other end of the table, with his daughter.

"I would like to keep this as calm and civilized as possible." I said. "I have asked Lord Durlan from Telmar and Sir Covan, to be here as well for accountability." I said taking my seat.

"I don't know what there is to discuss. It's right there in the laws that King Gale instituted when he founded our Lone Islands."

"What we are discussing is you blindsiding the king in front of everyone like that. It was rather inappropriate. And what is even more inappropriate is that you didn't even go over this with me, as the King's advisor."

"I wasn't even aware that the king had an advisor. One who's a woman at that."

"Maybe that's why they're called the Lone Islands... Because they're all are alone out there... Away from civilization." I heard Edmund whisper to Lucy, who chuckled.

"Well, lots of things have changed since the Pevensie's have become rulers of Narnia." I said. "Can I see the scroll?" I asked.

The servant of Governor Maxinan carried it over and I opened it, and started reading.

I looked up at him.

"I read over, every book about the laws and customs of not only this land but others. Including the Lone Islands, why was this not in them?"

"Because we haven't had a king in one hundred years miss."

"Lady." I clarified.

"Lady... And now that King Peter is of age... He must marry."

"But Susan is queen. And we have Edmund and Lucy here to take their place if needed."

"That's the law miss... King Peter will marry Oramythh before the week is over." And without saying anything stood and pulled his daughter out with him.

I stood up, slamming my hand on the desk, upturning the scroll.

"Vy." My dad said. I ignored him as I pushed my chair over.

"Vyla." He said, but I was blind with anger. He stood, "Vyla Bense Dennor!" He raised his voice.

I stopped and looked at him.

"could you all leave us please." He asked.

Everyone present nodded and silently left.

"Why are you so invested in the lives of these four children?" He asked, pulling me down to sit next to him.

"While you're gone they're my only friends. He asked me to be his personal advisor and then the others agreed. I love you but you're not here often. It's up to me to oversee the things having to do with their personal lives. And I'm beating myself up that I missed this..."

"You didn't know... You can't do that to yourself..."

I stood, looking down at my father.

"I know I shouldn't... But this is my fault and I'm going to get him out of this mess. Tell Lord Durlan thank you for his company. But I have work to do."

I kissed him on the head before leaving the council room and walking to the giant library filled with pretty much every book known to man.

It was dark, but shortly I had it illuminated with candles.

I started pulling books off the shelves. All the ones I could find about the history of the lone Islands and King Gale and the laws he issued.

I brought them to the large table and started reading.

I didn't know how late it was... Hours passed and I was still reading and coming up empty.

"Vy?" I heard from across the room. I looked up and saw Peter, closing the door behind him.

He walked over and sat down across from me.

"You can't be doing this to yourself..." He whispered.

"This is my fault... I missed this somehow. Now I need to fix it." I turned the page of my large book.

Before I could turn it again Peter took my hand and looked at me.

"Please... Don't do this for me..." He placed his other hand on my face.

"So, you're just going to let them tell you, The High King, what to do? You're going to let them dictate everything in your life?"

"No... And I know you will find a way out of this... But... This is not the way... You're going to be driving yourself mad searching for answers that might not exist."

"And if that's what it takes that's what I'll do." I said looking him in the eye.

"And what if you can't find an answer?"

"Then you'll marry Oramythh."

"But I don't want to marry her. I don't even know her."

"You might not have a choice Peter. They could overthrow you because of this."

He swallowed hard.

"No..." He reached over for the book I was reading and turned it towards him. "This is just as much my problem as it is yours... I'm going to help you."

I smiled a small smile as I reached for the book.

"No... This is my fault I'm going to deal with it... You have other things to worry about... You should get some sleep."

"I'm not leaving... so the least you could do is let me help." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes as I handed another book to him.