~Chapter 21~

It was only a two to three-day ride to the part of Calormen we were headed to.

It was the afternoon of our second day riding. We were still in Archenland but I had no clue where we were.

"Peter, where are we?" I finally asked.

He looked around. "Archenland..." He said finally.

"Obviously, idiot." I mumbled. "But like... what wood is this, what path, what rout?"

"Not entirely sure but I do know... When we reach desert. We'll be in the Calormene Empire."

I rolled my eyes, as I rode next to him so I could shove him.

That's when I noticed Seanie's ears started twitching.

"Peter..." I whispered, noticing his horse, Viserys was doing the same thing.

"What?" He asked.

"Something's there..." I said, not taking my eye off Seanie's ears. I brought him to a stop and listened.

Peter just looked back at me.

I jumped off Seanie and looked around, keeping a hand on my dagger.

"Vy... Just get back on and let's keep going."

I held my finger to my lips as Peter jumped off his horse. Then there was a whizz, and the thump as Viserys fell over, dead from an arrow.

My eyes widened as I looked at Peter, who was pulling his sword from his scabbard.

Another arrow flew by, missing Peter by inches.

Then the trees rustled as the men emerged, surrounding us.

"Well, well, well, who do we have here..." I noticed the man, who was in his mid to late twenties, was looking at Peter's sword.

He was rather ugly... Maybe at one point he was handsome... His teeth were stained yellow. He had brown stubble and his dark brown hair was greying at the sideburns already.

"You must be High King Peter." He said dramatically bowing.

"And who are you?" He replied.

"I'm the guy who's gonna be rich from the ransom I'm gonna get from you."

"You're gonna have to go through me first." I said stepping towards Peter.

"And who's this? The King's love affair?" He nodded to one of the guys who had surrounded us. He approached me, arms out about to grab me. But before he could I grabbed his arm and ducked under him, pinning his arm behind his back and holding one of my knives to his throat.

"You touch him, I kill your man." I said.

"Vy..." Peter said looking at me, slightly concerned.

"I outnumber you... It's a lose lose... You kill him I kill your king and you... My crossbows are nothing compared to your swords..."

"he has a point Vy... Let him go." Peter whispered.

I did as he asked, although hesitant and let the guy go. The second I let him go he pushed me over to where Peter was standing.

"Tie them up... and check them for more weapons." The main guy said as peter dropped his sword and I took my belt, holding my dagger off.

As soon as Peter's sword hit the dirt path the guy jumped for it.

"This'll fetch a nice price." He chuckled. "Get them on the horse... We gotta get to Calormen before someone realizes they didn't arrive to their destination." He said as someone emerged from the trees with another horse.

The guy mounted it as another pushed Peter onto Seanie. Peter held his arm out for me and I climbed up behind him. Then they bound our hands.

"What are we gonna do Pete?" I whispered in his ear as we started off.

"I don't know..."

"They're not going to kill you... You're worth more to them alive... But me... I'm invaluable to them."

"I'll think of something... I won't let them hurt you." He said.

"I told you, you need protection." I said. I wanted to hit him in the back of the head but I couldn't.

We were approaching the Winding Arrow River which was the threshold between Archenland and the desert of Calormen.

I rested my head on Peter's back, but I didn't sleep. No way was I going to sleep.

"We'll sell them off when we get to Calormen." I heard the guy say to someone. "They're healthy. Plus, we'll get an even bigger price for the King."

"They can't sell us... We have a treaty with Calormen." I whispered.

"Not all of Calormen... There are the bandit towns..." Peter replied.

I straightened up and looked over Peter's shoulder. "What are you going to do with me?" Then I dramatically coughed into my elbow.

"You're not fooling anyone girl... I saw how you almost took out my guy."

I elbowed Peter in the back, encouraging him to play along.

"She knows how to fight because her father is a knight... The real reason we're traveling to Calormen is because there's a doctor who can help her." Peter said.

"I'm of no use to you," Another violent cough. "like this." I finished.

The guy didn't say anything.

"Sorry Pete." I whispered as I reached my fingers into my throat, making myself vomit.

I wiped my face with my sleeve and they all came to a stop.

"I told you she's not well." Peter said.

"We'll get her a doctor in Delcray." The main guy mumbled.

"Delcray?" Peter mumbled as we continued walking again.

"What's in Delcray?"

"Major bandit town... Lots of convicted prisoners who either broken out or were released live there..." He whispered.

I rested my head on Peter's back again, really not feeling well from making myself throw up.

"You alright?" He asked.

"considering I've been kidnapped, about to be sold, and have a stomach ache... Peachy."