~Chapter 31~

(London)

(Earth year; 1941)

"Act your age!" A soldier yelled to Peter as the four walked over to the bench in the train station.

"You're welcome." Edmund said.

"I had it sorted." Peter replied.

"What was it this time? Susan asked.

"He bumped me."

"So you hit him?" Lucy cut in.

"No. After he bumped me, they tried to make me apologize. That's when I hit him." Peter replied clenching his jaw.

"Really, is it that hard to just walk away?" Susan asked.

"I shouldn't have to! I mean don't you ever get tired of being treated like a kid?" Peter replied.

"Uh, we are kids." Edmund chuckled.

"Well I wasn't always. It's been a year. How long does he expect us to wait?" Peter asked, sitting in between Lucy and Edmund on the bench.

"I think it's time to accept the fact that we live here. It's no use pretending any different." Susan said crossing her arms.

"I was a king... I fought battles. I had a wife and son..." Peter mumbled under his breath while Susan looked to the incoming students.

"Oh no. ... Pretend like you're talking to me." Susan said to Lucy.

"We are talking to you." Edmund said.

"Ow!" Lucy suddenly jumped up from the bench.

"Be quiet, Lu." Susan mumbled.

"Something pinched me!" Lucy pointed.

"Hey, stop pulling!" Peter quickly said.

"I'm not touching you!" Edmund replied.

"Will all of you just-" Susan didn't finish as the train rushed past them. "What is that?" She asked.

"It feels like magic." Lucy smiled.

"Quick, everybody hold hands." Susan said.

"I'm not holding your hand!" Edmund said to Peter.

Suddenly the train station started rumbling. And they saw through the breaks in the train cars... The Sea.

Then all of a sudden the four were standing in the cove of a beach.

They stepped out into the sunlight before Susan and Lucy looked at one another and smiled. Then they started running towards the crystal blue water. Peter and Edmund quickly follow. They started messing around in the water, shedding their heavy coats and shoes. 

Then Edmund paused and looked up.

"Where do you suppose we are?" Edmund asked.

"Well, where do you think?" Peter replied.

"Well, I don't remember any ruins in Narnia."

The others follow his gaze to the ruins on the hillside. They walked out of the water and started climbing the hill to said ruins, and start exploring. Lucy finds an apple and takes a bite before she stares at the water from the cliff.

"I wonder who lived here." She said.

Then Susan picked something up out of the grass.

"I think we did." The four children look at the golden chess knight that Susan found.

"Hey, that's mine...from my chess set." Edmund said.

"Which chess set?" Peter asked.

"Well, I didn't exactly have a solid gold chess set in Finchley, did I?" Edmund joked.

Lucy looked over at the ruined dais.

"It can't be." Lucy whispered as she ran over. "Don't you see?" She asked.

"What?" Peter replied.

"Imagine walls. ... And columns there... and a glass roof." Lucy said, painting the picture.

"Cair Paravel." Peter sighed.

They walk back down off the dais and towards a small pile of rocks. 

"Catapults." Edmund said.

"What?" Peter asked.

"This didn't just happen. Cair Paravel was attacked."

The boys exchange a glance before running over to one of the hidden walls. They push it revealing the door behind it. Peter takes his pocket knife and breaks the door open. He then picks up a stick and tears a pice of his shirt off, and wraps it around the stick.

"I don't suppose you have any matches, do you?" he asked looking at Edmund.

"No... but would this help?" He asks opening his bag and taking out his electric torch.

Peter sighed but smiled, "You might've mentioned that a bit sooner!"

The four stepped inside with Edmund leading the way. Lucy paused at the top when she sees the treasure chamber, and their four chests below.

"I can't believe it. It's all still here." Peter whispered before the others run over to their chests.

Lucy pulled out a dress from hers. "I was so tall."

"Well, you were older then." Susan replied.

"As opposed to hundreds of years later... when you're younger." Edmund added, putting a large helmet on his head.

Peter blew the dust away from the lion on a large gold plate in his hands.

He looks up and sees the statue standing behind his chest, and slowly walks towards it.

"What is it?" Lucy asked as Peter opens his chest.

"My horn. I must've left it on my saddle the day we went back." Susan sighs.

Peter took his sword out from his chest and drew it from it's scabbard.

"When Aslan bears his teeth, winter meets its death." He starts to read from it.

"When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again." Lucy finished for him. "Everyone we knew... Mr. Tumnus and the Beavers... they're all gone."

"Vyla... Robin..." Peter looked up at the others. "I think it's time we found out what's going on."