~Chapter 20~

*Three Months Later*

"Lady Vyla, King Peter is looking for you."

I looked up at the faun. "He knows I'm in the middle of putting together the preparations for his trip to the Calormene Empire, right?" I asked.

The faun just shrugged.

I sighed as I stood, following him out. Things had been strange between me and the Pevensie's... I take that back... Between Peter and I. We seemed snippier with each other over the smallest things. We no longer stole a kiss every now and then... Or snuck out late to talk... Things were different and I didn't know why.

I didn't knock as I walked into his study.

"You know you're leaving in three days!? and we still don't have all the means of your protection figured out. Or the rout we're even taking. There's bandits, and the emperor's rout that we have to consider-"

"Vy." He cut me off.

I sighed as I sat on the edge of his desk. "What?"

"It's just a simple visit... It'll be no big deal. You're stressing out for nothing." He said, twirling a stray section of my hair that was on his desk, between his fingers.

"Peter, I don't have time for this." I mumbled.

"When was the last time you got a good night sleep?" He asked.

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

Peter slammed his hand down on his desk, causing me to jump slightly.

"Nope... This trip. It's just gonna be me and you." He said.

I glared at him. "You can't go without protection. You're the High King."

"I'm also a trained fighter... And so are you. It's not a long trip..."

I sighed. "Is that what you wanted to talk to me about?"

"No... Um. I was just wondering." He looked up at me. "How's Firis is doing?"

I narrowed my eyes, skeptical he just wanted to ask about how Aleurian's mother was.

"She's doing great now that she has some actual fresh air... Now." I hopped off his desk. "one of us has work to do." I forced a smile as I left.

~ ~ ~

I walked out of the castle to where the two horses were being saddled for Peter and I.

"You're sure you wouldn't like my company?" My father was asking Peter.

"Thank you for the offer but, it's just a simple visit." Peter smiled.

I approached them, taking my belt with my dagger and sword off. 

"Stay safe alright... And stay off the Vesburn path."

"Yes sir." Peter smiled.

I hugged my dad as Peter slid his sword into the scabbard on his horse's saddle and climbed up.

"Keep him safe alright." My dad whispered. I backed up and nodded.

"Alright, you two better be off." He said putting his hands out for me to help me mount my horse. Who I named Seanie after Luc and I's beloved horse who we had lost.

"I love you." My dad smiled as I turned Seanie.

"I love you too." I replied.

He waved as Peter and I stared off.